Author Topic: Ink for 100% Polyurethane WP Jacket  (Read 3394 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Ink for 100% Polyurethane WP Jacket
« on: December 03, 2013, 04:48:06 PM »
I haven't been able to find any definite answers as to the type of ink I need to print on these jackets.

http://www.sanmar.com/cs/CatalogBrowser?todo=ss&productId=CSJ25

I don't want to screen print on them, I'd rather put a heat transfer of some sort but I'm getting resistance from the salesperson and the owner and they wonder why we wouldn't just screen print them.  I've found info for printing on just about every substrate but polyurethane.  The shell is 100% PU, inside is polyester.  I know the usual stuff about printing on waterproof materials, nylabond, air dry inks, etc.

Have any of you printed on this jacket before or any jacket shell made of polyurethane?  I've been on the nazdar site as well and have no confidence that I'm buying the right ink for the job.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Ink for 100% Polyurethane WP Jacket
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:01:31 PM »
I can't be the only one to print on these.  Looking at the spec sheet it says the "shell" is 100% PU, but then it says the backing is polyester.  Am I reading into the specs wrong and is the part you print on actually polyester?  Our Sanmar rep told us they were poly and to use the normal poly rules when printing but I'm confused about which part of the jacket is poly and which is the PU.

So what do you guys consider the shell and backing?  I thought the shell would be the part we are printing on but perhaps the lingo is different from what I think it is.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:56:40 PM »
Alan,  i would have the same thought as you on the shell and backing..

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:15:07 PM »
I see the confusion. What they call the backing is what we would consider the fronting! LOL!
I'm doing some similar insulated  ones from them, the J7999 and J799S, and they are waterproof poly that scared me a bit until I saw that it was just typical water repellent poly (alcohol wipe if anything) and the real waterproofing is a Gore-Tex-like membrane on the inside.

I'm heat pressing them and the first small experiment print with regular Easy Weed went great.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline TH Apparel

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 01:39:05 PM »
I know this is an extremely old thread...but i'm printing on these exact jackets and came looking for answers.
How did you end up printing on them?
Air dry?  catalyst?

According to sanmars website and their printing instructions...they just list using poly inks.

I haven't been able to find any definite answers as to the type of ink I need to print on these jackets.

http://www.sanmar.com/cs/CatalogBrowser?todo=ss&productId=CSJ25

I don't want to screen print on them, I'd rather put a heat transfer of some sort but I'm getting resistance from the salesperson and the owner and they wonder why we wouldn't just screen print them.  I've found info for printing on just about every substrate but polyurethane.  The shell is 100% PU, inside is polyester.  I know the usual stuff about printing on waterproof materials, nylabond, air dry inks, etc.

Have any of you printed on this jacket before or any jacket shell made of polyurethane?  I've been on the nazdar site as well and have no confidence that I'm buying the right ink for the job.

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 01:54:48 PM »
This has been the best solution we've found:

https://www.waterbaseinkusa.com/collections/aquo

Sorry it's waterbased ink though! it doesn't even require heat to dry!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 02:19:41 PM »

Yup, Eric is correct. Works on bags, umbrellas, all sorts of stuff. Do not print and give to your customer right away though. I can't remember the exact hours but takes something like 36 to 72 hours to cure after running through dryer at really low temp. If you decide to go through dryer. If not it takes longer like a week I think. I can't remember but call those guys and ask to speak to TJ

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 02:22:42 PM »

Yup, Eric is correct. Works on bags, umbrellas, all sorts of stuff. Do not print and give to your customer right away though. I can't remember the exact hours but takes something like 36 to 72 hours to cure after running through dryer at really low temp. If you decide to go through dryer. If not it takes longer like a week I think. I can't remember but call those guys and ask to speak to TJ

We've always been told 48hrs, but it prints so well.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline TH Apparel

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 08:47:55 AM »
we ended up using one strokes elt black.  Temp hit ~270 degrees.
No issues.  Washed one a couple times over the weekend, still looks good.