Author Topic: 400 plus micron stencil  (Read 7283 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
400 plus micron stencil
« on: July 25, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
Yea, I coated up a 83/100 screen this afternoon 1/7 coats and got over a 400 micron stencil...yea I know it's not that important but you asked  ;D

Watcha gonna do with that stencil?

I've got a newman 102N with a 200 micron eom stencil waiting in the dark room for something special.  That ought to cover just about any one hit white scenario I can think of, even on black 50/50.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:46:17 AM by Frog »
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: 400 plus micron stencil
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:23:10 PM »
102 Newtons????
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:47:12 AM by Frog »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline squeegee

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 05:36:23 AM »
Yea, I coated up a 83/100 screen this afternoon 1/7 coats and got over a 400 micron stencil...yea I know it's not that important but you asked  ;D

I've got a newman 102N with a 200 micron eom stencil waiting in the dark room for something special.  That ought to cover just about any one hit white scenario I can think of, even on black 50/50.

Got a little HD project this morning.  Ya know the thing that is hardest about these super thick stencils is getting them to dry fast enough without dripping but also smooth as in not too fast air movement.  I'm trying my best to avoid cap film.

How's that PHW red for quick drying?  Nice build up?

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 06:56:13 AM »
102 Newtons????

I think it's a 102 Newman mesh
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 09:16:34 AM »

Got a little HD project this morning.  Ya know the thing that is hardest about these super thick stencils is getting them to dry fast enough without dripping but also smooth as in not too fast air movement.  I'm trying my best to avoid cap film.

The PHW is the best emulsion I've found for building thick stencils.  I haven't put a stopwatch on the drying times and we haven't had to coat a screen and turn it around quickly so I couldn't tell you with any certainty whether it's quick drying or not.  I think the fastest we've turned one around was coating one at the end of the day and using it the next morning.  I really like this emulsion and even with very thick stencils, you can see through it to line up jobs on press or using the mhm style film positioning unit to line up films.  I don't see us using anything different than the PHW for our thick stencils, I'm very happy with it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:37:49 AM »
102 Newtons????

Like Dave said, it's a 102 Newman Roller Mesh, stretched to 48 newtons.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 01:36:21 PM »
I've heard of coating a screen, drying, then building a damn out of tape or what have you on
the substrate side, then pouring in emulsion. Never tried it, sounds feasible. Difficult to gauge
thickness though.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 01:42:42 PM »
I've heard of coating a screen, drying, then building a damn out of tape or what have you on
the substrate side, then pouring in emulsion. Never tried it, sounds feasible. Difficult to gauge
thickness though.

Wouldn't thicker cap film be easier and faster? I know some people will build up layers of cap film too.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 03:16:54 PM »
Ever seen the price of 800 micron film? Yikes!

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 04:38:39 PM »
thickness though.

Wouldn't thicker cap film be easier and faster? I know some people will build up layers of cap film too.

I can get a 400 micron film fast and easy using PHW Red. I haven't tried to get much thicker, as I don't need it ....yet. Coat them end of the day and ready to go in the AM. We can run thousands of pieces with this stencil.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline squeegee

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 04:57:54 PM »
How many coats does it take you to get the 400 microns?

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 06:43:06 AM »
What is PHW? Who makes it.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline squeegee

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 06:50:20 AM »
It's Saati.  I was checking with Ulano yesterday and they have QT Thix for thick stencils, 52% solids, anyone tried it?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 01:50:28 PM »
I've never had any Ulano emulsion in production, I've tried samples over the years but nothing I really liked enough to put into use full time.  One of the emulsions that I really liked was around $100/gallon so you can see why I never pulled the trigger on that.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 02:38:34 PM »
I've never had any Ulano emulsion in production, I've tried samples over the years but nothing I really liked enough to put into use full time.  One of the emulsions that I really liked was around $100/gallon so you can see why I never pulled the trigger on that.

C'mon Alan, no one is cheaper than yours truly, but if there was an emulsion at that price that I found made better prints, or sped production time, even I would be on it in a heartbeat.
I've gone though plenty of $90 emulsion over the years.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?