Author Topic: Shimmer silver on darks  (Read 4442 times)

Offline shirtz

Shimmer silver on darks
« on: July 28, 2011, 01:46:18 PM »
600 shirts with shimmer on navy g8000's. Can they be printed without an underbase?

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: Shimmer silver on darks
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 01:58:26 PM »
Yup. Or at least Union's silver shimmer can. Depending on the coverage (big solids vs. fine detail), a 110 or even a 156 is possible, although many use an 86. One caution though, is to watch your curing temps. Crank it up to the higher end. I did a test print before running a job with the ink temp coming out at around 330 and it wanted to wash out in a trip through the washing machine.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 02:08:28 PM »
I use Union Silver Shimmer with an 86, no underbase. They look great!
Nothing special needed for the 50/50 with the Silver Shimmer.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 02:11:17 PM »
wow, we just ran some this morning (they work fine without the underbase, we used a 61 mesh though) and I totally forgot to slow down the dryer.

Went did the stretch test, everything was fine, but damn it was nice to see this and be reminded.

thank you!
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »
Careful stacking the hot shirts too high......the heat and pressure can cause ghosting on the backs of the shirts.
tp

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 02:28:37 PM »
We run Wilflex's Silver Shimmer through a 110s Murakami, no underbase, looks great... now glitter, for that we use 36. With holes that big, thread diameter is almost insignificant.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 02:36:48 PM »
I run a lot of this stuff, mostly IC.
110 p-f-p or maybe in a pinch 160.

But, it really looks nice on an underbase when I do use one. I suggest, that anyone interersted in these, try all methods to know what you want to do (an charge for) in the future.

And in case anyone is wondering why the extra heat, it's because of the reflective properties of these inks.
When in doubt, read the damn instructions or tech sheet!  ;)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 03:58:19 PM »
I never, ever read the instructions until I've lost at least 3 days, and my wife tells me to... actually, I almost always read them. No matter how much you think you know, you really don't, so read the instructions.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 04:25:18 PM »
About a month ago we ran about 400 black tees with Union shimmer silver, 86 mesh ct using a bevel squeegee blade. The back print we flashed, the left chest print we didn't have to... two squeeggie strokes and done.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »
have a fan or something cooling them before they fall into basket or STICKEM...arghhhhh!

Offline shellyky

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 05:19:45 PM »
i run union and willflex's silver shimmer thru an 85 with great results--PFP for epic results.  I want to try the gold on a brown shirt soon LOL

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 05:34:29 PM »
just ran wilflex gold shimmer through a 61mesh.  Printed great..on white shirts though.  When they came out of the dryer, they sparkled more than when they went in...strange.

Offline shirtz

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Any time we can save time & $ I'm in (plus I'm kinda lazy that way)
83 mesh it is

Offline Lizard

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 08:13:50 PM »
I think your print will look better on top of an underbase, you will use less ink if printing on top of an underbase and you will not have to stop to clean lint out of your screen if using an underbase.  White ink is $35 per gallon, what does shimmer cost?  I vote for using an underbase, you will be done printing in a little over and hour (I assume you are printing auto with those quantities but maybe not).
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline squeegee

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »
I think your print will look better on top of an underbase, you will use less ink if printing on top of an underbase and you will not have to stop to clean lint out of your screen if using an underbase.  White ink is $35 per gallon, what does shimmer cost?  I vote for using an underbase, you will be done printing in a little over and hour (I assume you are printing auto with those quantities but maybe not).

Agreed and even better a grey UB to make any UB peeking out unnoticeable.