Author Topic: What program do you suggest for Seperations?  (Read 16033 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: What program do you suggest for Seperations?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 01:09:22 PM »
Side note. I just got back to this test film as seen in figure 2 and that is a 55lpi using Film Maker3 XL RIP.
Printer was a 4800. 1440 SD HS. Variable for 2/90%. Chromoline AccuInk.

This film is great and density of the dots are solid. The dot or math user to plot the ink spatter is lacking as you get tighter in the lower dot range.  Mechanically, it would be no wonder why people can't hold a 3% dot in a 55lpi.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline easyrider1340

What program do you suggest for Seperations?
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 01:32:53 PM »
I use Ultraseps and Accurip.   Like them both. 

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 04:20:01 PM »
Side note. I just got back to this test film as seen in figure 2 and that is a 55lpi using Film Maker3 XL RIP.
Printer was a 4800. 1440 SD HS. Variable for 2/90%. Chromoline AccuInk.

This film is great and density of the dots are solid. The dot or math user to plot the ink spatter is lacking as you get tighter in the lower dot range.  Mechanically, it would be no wonder why people can't hold a 3% dot in a 55lpi.

SD HS indicates bidirectional printing which produces inferior results. For anybody caring about the 3% or lower dot, switching to one direction will solve this. Also, going to higher resolution makes a significant difference.

see here:
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,8018.msg80980.html#msg80980

pierre

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 04:46:39 PM »
About halftone range, no matter what rip or image device you use:

It is almost impossible to image a dot below 4%.  The threads will eventually block some of the tones completely.  This results in Vignette moire or a striped pattern in a sky print that fades to shirt color. Some of the threads block the very small dots, some can be imaged in the open area.  True image setters using processed film have a significant halftone quality that ink jet cannot come close to, no matter how well the machine is working, the edge of a halftone from and imagesetter is flawlessly sharp, while an ink jet halftone is a collection of pico liter dots that do not land together to form much of a dot at all.  The older or more used the ink jet machine is the more scattered the halftone dot.

For this reason I prefer to curve the output from Photoshop to the RIP.  I eliminate the dots below 4% as well as those from 96% on up.  They simply cannot be imaged on the screen completely due to mesh threads blocking the small openings or halftone dots.

Linearization is the next step to better halftones, a method to control dot gain on film that is available in RIP's like Wasatch.  Finally you can also punch contrast and apply curves to enhance the halftone output that helps keep the higher line counts open and the lower line counts printing completely at the tonal value you see in Photoshop. 

Al
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 09:14:10 PM »
pierre, have you switched to uni-directional printing?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 10:05:34 AM »
pierre, have you switched to uni-directional printing?

Only for the competition level prints, which we have not done in a year or so now . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Logoman

• Life is what happens while your making other plans
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2014, 09:25:19 AM »
Do ultra seps and T seps work the same?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
I think 'similar' is the best answer.

That's about like asking if QuickSeps, Ultraseps, SimpleSeps, SeparationStudio, FastFilms, Tseps (and more that I can't think of right now) work the same?

The are all similar in that they try to produce simulated process separations.  If you ask which one is best, it would be like asking what car brand is best.  Everyone will have an opinion, usually on the one they have.  I've used QuickSeps and now UltraSeps.  Is it the best?  Don't know.  Haven't tried all the ones on the market, but I'm fairly content.

Not trying to be difficult, but you're going to have to try the ones that have evaluation periods and draw your own conclusions, to a point.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 03:26:25 PM »
Good answer ScreenXpress.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Logoman

• Life is what happens while your making other plans
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2014, 01:19:21 PM »
I have T-Sep but have never been able to get it work well for me. I may not understand the in's and out's of it

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 08:38:47 PM »
I downloaded the manual and looks similar to a lot of the others.  Some file basics to start -

A.In RGB mode. (Check by going to Image/Mode)
B.Flattened with ONLY a Background layer (the easiest way to ensure this is to save the files in .JPG format
–Photoshop will automatically flatten the visible layers.)
C.Have NO additional channels other than RGB: Red, Green, Blue

and then turn it loose and tweak the channels it created.

Here's the PDF for the Reference Manual
http://t-biznetwork.com/download/T-Seps20-EnglishManual-UPDATED.pdf

And a little promo from Scott himself -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxW-QfbVV04

Hope something there helps.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline lemorris

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2014, 02:06:41 AM »
Ultraseps

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2014, 08:56:29 AM »
Gets my vote

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2014, 09:54:30 AM »
Ultraseps 2 and AccuRIP here, happy with both. Ultraseps is good start, but I have been separating for a long time, so I usually make tweaks to the channels based on my experience. You can't beat knocking out multiple channels in a few minutes to cut the processing time way down. a few base whites, a few highlight whites, 3 blacks to choose from, and if you don't like your options, you're already in Photoshop and can make any custom channel you could need...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2014, 08:00:03 AM »
Has anyone used Ultraseps and Seperation Studio?
How do they compare?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il