Poll

How do you use skip shirt options?

Don't use them.  If a platen is not loaded, stop and load it.
4 (28.6%)
Use them all the time.  Keep the press moving and disregard if not loaded.
5 (35.7%)
Only as insurance should a platen literally be missed by operators.
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Skip shirt buttons / no shirt detectors / go/no go pedals - yea or nay?  (Read 6542 times)

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Skip shirt buttons / no shirt detectors / go/no go pedals - yea or nay?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 01:09:02 PM »
We have no-go pedals. At first I thought they were useless, now I wouldn't have it any other way.

First press was go pedal. That is amateur.

Online TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 01:20:26 PM »
We have no-go pedals. At first I thought they were useless, now I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

I HATED the pedal on the S.Roque as a break or a "no-go" at first. Actually had them write a mod to my program so I could switch it(the switch option came on the YOU models from my understanding) once they sent me the program mod, I couldn't delete the file fast enough!  ;D
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
We don't have one, but I could see how it would come in handy on large long runs.  We ran 5k shirts Friday.  Some of these shirts come outta the cases not so straight and at 68dz a hour it might be nice to miss a pallet to fix the pile without worrying about stopping the press or using the peddle.  We do have a peddle but its never been used, ever.  LOL
Your new press will have it. Please give an honest opinion of the feature when you get a chance.

Will do.  I didn't know it had that lol.  Who knows what all that beast has.  I can't wait. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 02:20:56 PM »

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

I HATED the pedal on the S.Roque as a break or a "no-go" at first. Actually had them write a mod to my program so I could switch it(the switch option came on the YOU models from my understanding) once they sent me the program mod, I couldn't delete the file fast enough!  ;D

On my MHM in auto mode the foot pedal is a break or nogo pedal. In manual mode its a start pedal. I got my press with out the pedal and it was really hard to use the press with out it. I could only use it in manual mode touching the start on the screen after wvery shirt. Automode scared the Sh!t out of me. It was my first auto and I have never even touched an auto before that so I was really new.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 02:38:43 PM »
I have found that some ops can't live without the NSD while others unplug it and stick it in under the dryer.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 02:59:45 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly with those of you touting it's benefits on newer model presses but even there if screens are set at on contact you really cannot be sending empty pallets around.  I'd say this feature would be insanely useful on presses that lower the print heads to the platens v. the platens tabling up/down.

Guess I never really thought of that.... But like I said we just stop the press. Because I can't really think of a time we didn't get the shirt on the board, it is usually just the shirt not being positioned/straightened properly which the detector wouldn't exactly help anyway....
Looks like people really like the detector option or could care less and have made their own system. No one is really "in the middle" and uses it sometimes huh?

Bet this would get the same split response- Where do people stand(no pun intended) on using a foot pedal?

Foot pedals are for amateurs :)

You cut me deep there Alan, you cut me deep. :P

Slice like a ninja cut like a razor blade...

I've never used a foot pedal so I can't seriously comment on it's use.  The way I load I don't think I would like one and keeping one foot in the same spot throughout a longer run seems like it would suck as a "go" pedal.  Using one to stop the machine seems way more user friendly for me but when I need to stop the press now I just reach over with my finger and stop it.  My hand/eye coordination is much better than my foot/eye.  But who knows, if I used one for a few weeks I might love it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 04:15:37 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly with those of you touting it's benefits on newer model presses but even there if screens are set at on contact you really cannot be sending empty pallets around.  I'd say this feature would be insanely useful on presses that lower the print heads to the platens v. the platens tabling up/down.

Guess I never really thought of that.... But like I said we just stop the press. Because I can't really think of a time we didn't get the shirt on the board, it is usually just the shirt not being positioned/straightened properly which the detector wouldn't exactly help anyway....
Looks like people really like the detector option or could care less and have made their own system. No one is really "in the middle" and uses it sometimes huh?

Bet this would get the same split response- Where do people stand(no pun intended) on using a foot pedal?

Foot pedals are for amateurs :)

You cut me deep there Alan, you cut me deep. :P

Slice like a ninja cut like a razor blade...

I've never used a foot pedal so I can't seriously comment on it's use.  The way I load I don't think I would like one and keeping one foot in the same spot throughout a longer run seems like it would suck as a "go" pedal.  Using one to stop the machine seems way more user friendly for me but when I need to stop the press now I just reach over with my finger and stop it.  My hand/eye coordination is much better than my foot/eye.  But who knows, if I used one for a few weeks I might love it.

The foot pedal is much better then stopping the press. It gives you control even if you don't need it. If I feel behind on a shirt I just push the pedal down when I put the shirt on. This way I know the press will not move and I know if I do get it on in time I didn't slow down the run. You can set the press to your full speed knowing you can stop it if your in trouble.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 11:40:03 AM »
That setup looks fun, right?   I never needed that many, being more into bass.  Had the MXR blue and dist+, some phasey pedals (you gotta, if you like Bootsy,) and a big muff pi.  But I just thought that photo was over the top for the subject. 

I don't think I'd want the noise floor that comes with that many pedals and all their connections...  where's that intermittent?   ;D

Joking aside, never been on a press without a shirt detector, and IMHO, they save time on long runs.  It's nice keeping the press running through wrinkled/folded shirts, or grabbing a drink of water quick, or whatever.  As far as shirts being crooked and going under, if it's crooked as you're pulling it to position it, you just pull it off.  Second nature once you do it for a while.  The foot pedal doesn't seem quite as convenient to me, although I'm sure it would save some time, and if I had learned with one, perhaps I'd prefer it...

Offline Croft

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 11:49:35 AM »
The first auto I used was a MHM with the pedal, when I left that company I bought a new Sportsman with no pedal , I was really concerned that it was going to be a problem but I think it actually sped things up.  I had a couple of printers over the years use the pedal on the MHM as a crutch and would way overuse it.

I think a no shirt detector would be a good thing though because I have had the odd brain fart while printing fast and have totally missed a shirt. You know the dream of a holiday or your first Ferrari :)