Author Topic: how would this work?  (Read 2140 times)

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
how would this work?
« on: February 21, 2014, 10:19:08 AM »
hey all. customer came to me with this art. i could probably get away with 6 spot colors. but their artwork is setup where colors are overlapping to create some of the other colors. id love to give it a shot, but i have no idea where to start with something like that. i would assume transparent inks or process? going on black too.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: how would this work?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 10:37:49 AM »
I would test the DC colors using the jig below. If they blended just right then you could print:
DC white w/base
no flash
DC yellow
DC pink
DC red to crush
saves a couple of screens, if not straight dc 6 colors

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 10:54:38 AM »
that's almost like something we printed a few months back:

ran it as a DC underbase, with standard process cmyk inks on top.

Customer was happy with the result.

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 11:00:44 AM »
very cool. i think ill be coming in this weekend to play around. id like to print it with something other than plastisol. DC seems like its the way to go.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 11:06:41 AM »
two thoughts . . .

if you are going to print it as sim process you should send it out and have a pro separate it. this would show you how it's done so you can do it next time. Also if printing sim, you might have a problem hitting those colors right on. If they have to match exactly, you might be better off going with spot colors.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline myseps

• Master Color Separator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:54:50 PM »
You should be able to use the "pathfinder" tool in illustrator to split the overlapping colors into separate spot elements.
myseps.com color separations by Scott D.   Follow me on facebook

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 09:53:21 AM »
well did some farting around with this last night after hours. i had some union plasticharge laying around and decided to give this a go (disregard awful registration and cell phone pics. just threw it in to play around). i printed this 3 colors, yellow and two pinks. i definitely got a cool effect... i have to play around with my final colors, but overall i think it turned out pretty cool. i got the color blending i was hoping for. my customer is not too specific with pms matches, so i have a little wiggle room.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 10:25:39 AM »
Very good for first try. Helps if the customer isn't dead set on PMSs