Author Topic: Look what came off my press today! (flatstock edition)  (Read 2473 times)

Offline StuJohnston

Look what came off my press today! (flatstock edition)
« on: February 22, 2014, 08:10:12 PM »
Since I know there are some printers on here that do flat stock work like I do, I thought that I would like to start general thread for poster work. I am equally interested in the design of the posters as I am in the printing of them

I am pretty fortunate to know some talented designers, one of them is Andrew Lockhart. He has a regular design job and does freelance, but he has a clothing/merchandise line as well. Funny enough, I think that Ink Brigade does his shirts btw. This is actually one of his shirt designs, but he decided to put it to paper as well.

This morning, I checked how the posters dried and notice that there was some of the pigment on my finger. I need to figure out why that happened, but for now, I went with an overprint clear through the same screen. Try that with a shirt  :P Here are a couple of detail shots

I hope to see some more stuff from ya'll. Posters are why I started printing professionally so I am always interested to see what is being done with them.

Offline StuJohnston

Re: Look what came off my press today! (flatstock edition)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 10:45:12 AM »
Just did this yesterday.

Also recently did a sim pro poster as well as an experiment. I'll get a photo of that later.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the clearish burst is glow in the dark, haven't taken a photo of that yet though.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 11:18:23 AM »
Neat stuff Stu~
Had an opportunity to work with a company long ago that
printed medium runs of specialty concert posters on Saturn presses.
Decided to keep with the garment industry, but looked really fun.

What meshes / press are you using?

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 02:03:20 PM »
Thanks Gary
I generally use 305 mesh with nazdar 9700, but the first thing I posted and the glow layer of the second were done with a 110. I usually use 110 for special effects. I print with a Thieme/Kippax TK 440, it's super overkill for what I generally do (max print size of 48x63!) but it works really well with all the possible features I could want.

As a side note, I use large format diamond chase roller frames and I will fully admit that the oem stretching method is a pain, but after talking with David at Shurloc, everything is better now that I have started using their panels.

I guess I was in a hurry to post the last one, I forgot to mention that it was designed by a design duo that goes by the name of Bologna Sandwich.

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 12:18:59 AM »
I hope that a double post is ok. I do have new stuff to show and if others are like me, they wouldn't see it in an edit because they use the unread posts function. First is the picture of the last on in the dark.

Here's the 3 color simpro poster I mentioned, designed by the wonderful Christine Blystone.

And here's my baby (press)