Author Topic: Responsibility when printing for the trade. Need answer immediately!  (Read 19450 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Responsibility when printing for the trade. Need answer immediately!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »
Do you guys see why I LOATH big government?  The government can't even prevent e. coli and salmonella from entering the food supply.  This is just knuckin' futs.

moot point.
It is what it is and we have better learn to deal with it.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 01:57:30 PM »
It's not a moot point, this is what you get when you elect the nanny state.  Maybe we should grill ANYBODY running for office about what they are GOING to do about this, rather than what they would do.

This law will do NOTHING but cost the US jobs.  The economy is in a tailspin, it is legislation like this that needs to go...and it needs to go NOW.

On that note, I am going to write my reps on this.

Moot point my butt.  WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.  This increases the cost of business, a cost that will be more easily absorbed by larger companies, it will run a lot of shop out of business.

Sorry Andy, your comment "moot point" ticks me off.  Just roll over and let them have your way with you, why not, they are already on top of you...why try and stop them.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 02:09:25 PM »
Okay, so like the folks who advised Welsey Snipes to not pay his taxes, you are advocating that you and others ignore these requirements? That's the possibly deadly ostrich attitude I mentioned.

It's like any law. Whether one agrees with it or not, a smart person or in this case smart business person, learns all about it and what can negatively affect his or her business or in some other cases, life and freedom.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 02:16:29 PM »
At this point we need to demand clarity in the requirements and enforcement of the rules that will address the issue of any real toxic potential without hobbling an industry like ours that is predominantly small business. When official consensus seems to be lacking on what comprises compliance after this thing has been on the books for a few years now, and after several half-assed moratoriums that expire without the solution, it's a classic example of government with no practical knowledge of the issue, but acting with all the "best intentions" whether or not the law remedies the problem. They'll cut your leg off to keep that ingrown toenail from getting infected.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 02:25:16 PM »
I am not advocating ignoring it, I am advocating fighting it.  Look at what the government has done to the economy the last 2 weeks.  Over the last 4 years?  It is strangling us and will only get worse.  Excessive regulation like this is what drives jobs overseas and consumers to pay higher prices.

What the f*ck are we trying to protect kids from?  How many kids per year get sick from lead poisoning from toys?  Seriously, this is one of the worst laws ever.

I think we should mandate that at all time and at all places anybody under the age of 16 should wear a helmet and full body pads.  And while we are at it, lets cut out all running, swift walking and any sort of "activities" that could lead to injury.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 02:28:59 PM »
I see  tags from the mills. Most ink companies as well as heat seal folks have compliant products with certification available.
So, the real hassle is record keeping and the actual placement of our (or our client's) tracking label.
 Yep, a pain, but that does not change the fact that we need to make a reasonable effort to comply to the regulations as we understand them right now.

Those with a shop full of employees, probably have a lot more time to fight this than a small one person shop like mine.
I don't have the time or the wherewithal to spend time in court protesting a fine if that were to come.

Bottom line to me is study, complain, even protest, but comply as best as is needed as long as is needed.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 02:33:37 PM »
Bottom line to me is study, complain, even protest, but comply as best as is needed as long as is needed.

Absolutely. But, dammit, why do they have to make things so hard? A sober look at the problem with carefully crafted development of the regulations would go a long way into fostering compliance.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 02:37:18 PM »
I think the Smithsonian logo for the Department of Innovation says it all too well...

Notice a problem with it?

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 02:41:09 PM »
Notice a problem with it?

Yeah, the sand is missing. Or maybe the monkey wrench.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 02:43:08 PM »
3 gears cannot interlock like that.  1 is going to get sheared, if it even has enough power to get moving.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2011, 03:25:17 PM »
3 gears cannot interlock like that.  1 is going to get sheared, if it even has enough power to get moving.

I thought that was the inovation part, they figured out how to make that work!
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 02:38:12 PM »
Where are these rules for this labeling? I am a business and not one person has ever contacted me about this..If i was not on these boards I wouldn't have a clue about this so called law...

Please, use the link and look into this on your own. It is no secret, but you are not alone in those who have either never heard of it, or are playing ostrich. NO ONE WILL CONTACT YOU, at least not just to pass on information.

It is, without a doubt, muddled and confusing, It is, nonetheless, the law, well-intentioned though albeit somewhat of a knee-jerk reaction to Barbie spending the last few years in China, and returning with a case of lead poisoning. Whoda thunk that that was communicable?

My label, when used,  is the size of a small postage stamp and is applied to the back of the shirt's tag. It is, however, labor intensive. Pierre's rubber stamp and data base seems much quicker.

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/sect103.html

Hey Frog could you post a pic of your label?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 03:01:57 PM »
So this law is for just shirts intended for kids under 12? Does that mean we only label the ones for kids or the whole patch? Do we have to label all items we print even if they are not intended for kids?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 03:13:08 PM »
So this law is for just shirts intended for kids under 12? Does that mean we only label the ones for kids or the whole patch? Do we have to label all items we print even if they are not intended for kids?

there is some good info here:
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php?topic=2322.0

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 03:25:36 PM »
This is a mess. What are they going to do when something goes wrong and they need to recall the shirts. I know who I sold the batch of shirts to but they can't know who they sold all 1000 shirts to individually. So how can they call them and tell them that the shirt is bad and not to use it? If you hide the tag in a design, what if the people cant find it if they do for some act of God hear about the recall.

I am not selling shirts intended for Kids under 12. I don't think I would lose much work. I only print a hand full of kids stuff any ways.

Pierre I like your idea about the website and putting the website on the shirts with a tracking number. Now what number do you use. If I print a 6 color design and the inks are from all different patches then I would need 6 tracking numbers? You can't put that much info on every shirt.