Author Topic: Responsibility when printing for the trade. Need answer immediately!  (Read 19451 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
job is due in one hour.
Does resposibility now fall on the client?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:59:58 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Clark

Re: Responsibility when printing for the trade. Need answer immediately!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 02:19:19 PM »
Perhaps a bit more information.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 02:25:14 PM »
Sure, it's simple. When I run a youth shirt for an end user customer, I have a label I add with contact information, date and individual ID number (which in my files, corresponds to ink batch numbers and so forth. To some, even this isn't sufficient, but that's another issue.
With contract type work, wouldn't the label have t reflect their information?

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 02:27:51 PM »
Not to muddle the thread with my comment but what a joke that the CPSIA crap is so convoluted that even the CPSIA can't tell us what the rules are.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 03:12:04 PM »
I'd assign it a number code and put their info on it. Give you customer the info regarding the ink and shirt. Tell them by law they have to keep records, and keep records for yourself as you normally would just to cover yourself.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 03:35:01 PM »
Obviously the safest solution, with a little bit more of a charge to make the "custom" label. as opposed to my stock one with only the number changing.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 08:25:34 AM »
Where are these rules for this labeling? I am a business and not one person has ever contacted me about this..If i was not on these boards I wouldn't have a clue about this so called law...

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 10:07:38 AM »
It's the government. They're making up the rules as they go along.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 10:40:17 AM »
Sure, it's simple. When I run a youth shirt for an end user customer, I have a label I add with contact information, date and individual ID number (which in my files, corresponds to ink batch numbers and so forth. To some, even this isn't sufficient, but that's another issue.
With contract type work, wouldn't the label have t reflect their information?

Andy:  I know of at least one larger screen-printer that "discreetly" incorporates a tracking number directly into the design that they print onto the garment.  I can't tell you with any certainty if this approach meets the legal requirements, and my contact at the company did report that their customers were initially not so happy at having a tracking number incorporated into the graphic design. 

Although, as soon as he explained the legal requirement to track the garment and the materials used in its manufacture his customers were normally ok with it.  If you can get your customers on board, this approach is more permanent, less expensive, and a whole lot less hassle than adding your own custom label to the garment.
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 10:55:39 AM »
Peter, I offer both methods. Some designs are simply more conducive for the "incorporated" choice, and like you mentioned, some simply don't want it there no matter, and will pay for the additional label.
My specific problem is dealing with the contract aspect.
Though I seldom do contract work, I will now offer the same two alternatives, but with their contact information.
Fortunately, this comes up seldom. Pierre, on the other hand, probably sees it regularly. He also uses a cool rubber stamp.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 04:23:58 PM »
Where are these rules for this labeling? I am a business and not one person has ever contacted me about this..If i was not on these boards I wouldn't have a clue about this so called law...

no answer to this from anyone?

Offline ErinAllenLamb

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 04:25:44 PM »
I think I would reference the website. I know that isn't that helpful, but at least they may have some recommendations.

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html

Erin

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 05:11:10 PM »
I think I would reference the website. I know that isn't that helpful, but at least they may have some recommendations.

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html

Erin

here is a better link:
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/sect103.html

One of the other business I started recently is 103recall.com which provides tracking number management. We are finally in the beta testing phase so feel free to check it out. Beware, lot more cosmetic work is need and some of the functionallity is a little difficult (working on it). Anyways, the point here is that I had to dig deep to see what the deal is with all the CPSIA rules and am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that all the garments for kids 12 and under have to have a recall label. More info is available by following the above link. As far as responsibility, the manufacturer is the one ultimately responsible. Think of our contract customers as Ford (or Chevy) and we are subcontracted for certain components, features or operations. So from what I understand Andy it is your customer's responsibility.

The reality is though, most of my customers are sitting in an office and have no means of marking the garments. We offer it as a service and charge $0.10 per garment to stamp it and $5 per order to generate the number. We are finding out that $0.10 is not enough and have already notified our customers that starting next year it will be at least $0.15 if not $0.20 per garment. We use a rubber stamp (with garment ink) to mark the inside of the shirts with the web address and the recall/batch number.

I remember reading that the first offense penalty was $5k-$50k and the second offense was $100k - $10M. I could remember wrong though, but it was steep!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »

Please, use the link and look into this on your own. It is no secret, but you are not alone in those who have either never heard of it, or are playing ostrich. NO ONE WILL CONTACT YOU, at least not just to pass on information.

It is, without a doubt, muddled and confusing, It is, nonetheless, the law, well-intentioned though albeit somewhat of a knee-jerk reaction to Barbie spending the last few years in China, and returning with a case of lead poisoning. Whoda thunk that that was communicable?

My label, when used,  is the size of a small postage stamp and is applied to the back of the shirt's tag. It is, however, labor intensive. Pierre's rubber stamp and data base seems much quicker.

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/sect103.html

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 01:24:16 PM »
Do you guys see why I LOATH big government?  The government can't even prevent e. coli and salmonella from entering the food supply.  This is just knuckin' futs.