Author Topic: [HELP] CMYK+UB+Spot?  (Read 1075 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
[HELP] CMYK+UB+Spot?
« on: March 10, 2014, 11:36:49 PM »
Attached is a sample of some art I am hoping to print on black shirts toward the end of this week. 

I would like to use CMYK with a discharge underbase and top white if necessary, but I have a six color press and it is manual, so I know I do not have the ideal setup.  How others would approach this project with those limitations.  I am thinking a DC underbase of 20% white + 80% base will go a long way toward minimizing or fully eliminating the need for a spot white, and the design does not have any areas that require a significantly bright white, but I can add that if necessary.  I am going to be ordering the Union Triple Strength CMYK inks based on what I have read in a number of threads. 

I would like to hire someone to separate the art, but my concern is with the need to adjust colors during the process and turnaround times on the output files.  I would ideally like to use someone who is both familiar with sepping CMYK with manual printing in mind (lower lpi, more potential for gain, etc) and with the discharge underbase.  I would also like to be able to resep it quickly based on any issues on press during testing.  I may end up sepping it myself with ultraseps just so I have added flexibility, but from the testing I did last week using it, I am not thrilled at the results, specifically with regard to the underbase.  I also know I would benefit from having a professional with experience handle this part of the process.

I am open to subbing the job out, but it would depend a lot on the pricing and turnaround time and I would have to see past similar work as I think I have a higher standard than many when it comes to this kind of stuff...Honestly, I would like to use this project to learn and am confident I can produce a quality finished product with proper setup and testing.  I appreciate any and all feedback on this.