Author Topic: Ink Spatulas  (Read 6570 times)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Ink Spatulas
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:43:56 AM »
I thought that it is a pretty good deal   :o

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/Johnson-Rose-/Offset-Spatula-73426439

They have a few other ones too, shorter ones, turners with wider blades........
Located in Atlanta, GA. Close to a lot of folks on the board.

Thought about sharing.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Ink Spatulas
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 09:58:47 AM »
That's a good buy.  I found some of those, not offset though, for a couple bucks a piece at a restaurant supply house.  Icing spatula's are what they are called.  We use the goop scoops for slinging ink, but I have 6 of the icing spatulas for mixing ink.  I have the wooden handled 8" blade that looks identical except for the offset that you posted.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »
http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/JohnsonRose-/Flexible-Turner-826546

Might be beter for putting the ink on the press, and it has polypropylene handle which is easier to wash.

Alan, this is a restaurant supply web store. I think that they are the same things as in the SP supply store, but a lot cheaper.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:17:37 AM »
offset, or no offset, that is the question.  I'm going to order a couple of those wider ones for man-handling the white ink

Offline Clark

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:20:32 AM »
I prefer offset.  I just ordered 10 of those, that is a smoking deal.  Thanks for the link.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:23:35 AM »
offset, or no offset, that is the question.  I'm going to order a couple of those wider ones for man-handling the white ink

Offset.

I ordered the flat ones from a different place few months ago to try, I bent them myself to get an offset.
They are easier to use that a regular plastic scoops and a lot easier to clean.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:24:17 AM »
Offset is an advantage for cleaning the ink out of the screens.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 10:30:10 AM »
Promo code NETCORDROCKS saved me a dollar, better than nothing!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »
Nice man, that is seriously the cheapest I've seen 'em.  Just ordered a bunch of the wide ones and skinnier ones. 

Anyone look at this one?
http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/Johnson-Rose-/Offset-Spatula-121226856

Got some just to try out seeing as they are 67 cents.

Way back when I got my QMX kit it came with some of the offset cake spatulas but they cut the rounded edge off square.  I love this for not just mixing and getting ink out of the screen but for scraping off squeegees.  Going to have one of my machinist friends cut these for me when they come in.  If you haven't done this, get on it, it makes everything easier.  Just don't forget to sand and round off the edges....

Thanks for the head's up DK!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 05:01:05 PM »
Offset is an advantage for cleaning the ink out of the screens.

+1

The offset's are usually thinner and flex perfect for getting it all out of a screen. Keep one in a bucket by the screen area so that guy can make a last quick pass in case someone missed some ink in clean up.

The 8" straight blades are my favorite and I like the stiffer blades, the thin blades bend to much when you're whipping up a quart of royal blue.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 04:48:59 AM »
we get these and love them.
http://bit.ly/pPod2f

I like the plastic handle.. makes cleaning MUCH easier over the fake wood handle.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 09:12:21 AM »
Just a quick update on these spatulas:

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/JohnsonRose-/Offset-Spatula-41426438
Awesome, small and perfect for mixing ink

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/Johnson-Rose-/Offset-Spatula-73426439
Great for cleaning up the screens from leftover ink and for putting the ink on the screen. Not as great for mixing due to the thinner and longer blade.

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/JohnsonRose-/Flexible-Turner-826546
Good for mixing ink and placing ink on the screens, I wish it was 2" wide (instead of 3"), it would be a lot better work mixing ink (stirring up the white) with a narrower blade.

Overall, a great purchase, well worth the money (comparing to the blades purchased through screen printing suppliers).  ::)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 09:38:41 AM »
I thought I read somewheres or saw in a video that you should never have metal come into contact with... umm, something to do with ink somewhere in the process.

But that nylon one is looking great.

Now, just buy a bunch of them and relabel them "screen printing spatulas" and sell them for 8 bucks each. :)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 09:39:11 AM »
I instead buy 2 and 3" flexible putty knives direct from Red Devil.  It's nearly impossible to find them around town anymore.

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 06:06:37 PM »
Now, just buy a bunch of them and relabel them "screen printing spatulas" and sell them for 8 bucks each. :)

I had that idea first  ;D
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!