Author Topic: Removing a color from an image?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Removing a color from an image?
« on: April 08, 2014, 09:24:25 AM »
I have sim process to print.  The print is going on a light blue shirt.  The print has light blue in it which I don't want to print.  What is the best way in Photoshop to remove the light blue from the image?  I'm using sep studio to separate it and I thought well just don't run a film for light blue but there would still be an underbase in that area.  I've tried the color range tool but either I'm doing it wrong or that's not the way to do it.
Any help would be appreciated.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Removing a color from an image?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 10:01:07 AM »
Open the image and use your eyedropper tool to select the lt. blue. Then Image/Adjustments/Hue and Saturation. Go to the menu that says Master at the top, and drag down to "Blues" (we can come back and do "Cyans" if you don't get it all) Notice the "pointers" (for lack of a better term) surround the blue in the color bars; drag the Brightness slider to the right until the blue disappears. You may want to adjust the pointers to get just the blue you're looking for. Check and uncheck the Preview box to see what's happening. This is where you want to go to do this, and be careful, the water is deep here (I know it's over my head)

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:25:44 AM »
It isn't always perfect, but you can create a custom palette in SepStudio and exclude the light blue, then create a custom ground (shirt) color as well prior to sepping.  Once you have both created, open you file and it should knock out those areas automatically.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 12:31:05 AM »
Take the channel for the Light Blue after sep and use the color range tool to capture that part of the image you want to knock out of the underbase.  Do a copy and paste of that captured area on top of the Underbase channel and color it white and then skip the Light Blue channel.  That should knock the Light Blue area out of the underbase......if I'm following correctly.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 12:35:52 AM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Dochertyscott

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 05:19:49 AM »
Been a while since too much sep work and no doubt better advice to be had on here... But I thought you could select the light Blue Chanel. (Opt > click on Chanel) and then click on white base Chanel and cut... With perhaps a bit of extracting pixels here and there.
Scott

PRINT TO LIVE, LIVE TO PRINT!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 07:39:40 PM »
Dochertyscott
Assuming you would want to do the work (in the sep program after it's separated) I would have said to do the same thing, (and), if it's got halftones in that blue color, delete those out (delete, delete) out of the base white two times or more, to allow for the other surrounding top colors to overlap that underbase.

If separating in photoshop. Pretty much do the same thing, but you have to create that blue sep (to use as a template tool to knock out with). How to get that blue selection in photoshop (extracted out from the art) is another question with many options/answers. We have 15 different ways to do that.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850