Author Topic: Illustrator help  (Read 2969 times)

Offline cyw

Illustrator help
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:50:26 PM »
After all these years, I still can't wrap my head around Adobe products.................
Lately, I've been having boatloads of trouble with customer supplied artwork.
I have Illy CS6 and have no issues opening the files there............but, but, but
Converting that file to something I can use in Corel has become a constant struggle.
Would anyone here be willing to teach this old dog some new tricks?

It seems no matter what I do or what version I save a copy to................something important gets mucked up.
I'm guessing, like Corel files, it all depends on how the file was created in the first place. I understand that.
And I also understand that there is probably no 5 step easy conversion.
But any guidelines at all would be oh so ever appreciated.

Attached is an .eps I got this afternoon.
Opens in Illy just dandy.
Getting it converted to something I can use in Corel............a veritable nightmare.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Illustrator help
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:03:25 PM »
opened in PS, it was 2"x2"...I must have done something wrong...trying in X6 but it keeps freezing up.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 05:06:35 PM »
There's a lot going on in there. Transparencies, gradients, all kinds of bitmap information that isn't in Corel's language.

Try saving it from Illustrator as a PDF then Import that into an open Corel document.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline cyw

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »
It's a vector file....and it opens in Illustrator like a champ.
Maintaining the vector and even half of all the gradients, transparency and lens effects is the rub. (sigh)

Offline cyw

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:11:01 PM »
thanks Scott, I was posting in reply to Homer, the same time you were.
Pdf X/-3....is that my best bet to hold on to as much of the 'stuff' as I can?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 05:56:26 PM »
What about doing the work in Illy instead of bringing it into CD? I mean, I understand why you're reticent, but if you're getting more and more files from customers, you probably need to learn it better. I had a similar thing years ago, only I was using Freehand exclusively. Then I hired an artist who only knew Illy, so eventually I had to learn it to work on files when he wasn't around. Now between that and Photoshop, I can handle 99.9% of what comes in. Excluding Word and PowerPoint of course, LOL. Or, is it something one of us could help with on the Illy side? What changes are you trying to make? (we get tons of Illy files that are just total messes too, which I usually end up sepping in PS, it's faster than trying to disassemble somebody's junk file)

Steve

I should have looked at it first, wow. That's one I would just sep in PS for sure. I'd be done before I could even start to figure out how to take it apart. What do you need to do to it? Are all the files you're getting like this?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:04:03 PM by Sbrem »
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »
After all these years, I still can't wrap my head around Adobe products.................
Lately, I've been having boatloads of trouble with customer supplied artwork.
I have Illy CS6 and have no issues opening the files there............but, but, but
Converting that file to something I can use in Corel has become a constant struggle.
Would anyone here be willing to teach this old dog some new tricks?

It seems no matter what I do or what version I save a copy to................something important gets mucked up.
I'm guessing, like Corel files, it all depends on how the file was created in the first place. I understand that.
And I also understand that there is probably no 5 step easy conversion.
But any guidelines at all would be oh so ever appreciated.

Attached is an .eps I got this afternoon.
Opens in Illy just dandy.
Getting it converted to something I can use in Corel............a veritable nightmare.

Open in ai cs4 saved as pdf. yes its 2x2 but vector.
Shane

Offline cyw

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:20:17 PM »
Many thanks............at least I have it in Corel X7 now
It's still hollering at me when I backsave but I'm way better off than I was this afternoon.

You used PDF 6? any reason for that?

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
No just the std selection, I could've done newer but it worked. If it didn't I would have tried newer.
Shane

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 10:12:03 PM »
I agree with Steve why beat yourself up trying to fit it in CD when it works fine in Illy, I do just about all my work in Illy 10 yes Illy 10 put I do use IllyCS3 and photoshop, if a custy sends me a file and it's all corel and work great there I,m working with it there, I know enough corel to just get me by LOL.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 11:17:12 PM »
Even though you were able to get the file open in Corel, you need to double check that the end result is the same.....Some Illustrator stuff will render differently in Corel than it does in the native program..So make sure you are not missing stuff....

Offline kirkage

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 09:13:10 AM »
Don't want to start the Corel vs Illy debate, but adobe products are worth learning and far more common in the printing world. IMO, nothing beats the Photoshop, Illy combo.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 10:53:49 AM »
I actually bought X6, but after a couple of installation problems, got too busy to deal with it. I haven't received one from a customer in maybe 3 years, and that was the only one that year.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 01:49:46 PM »
So is this CMYK?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 02:49:02 PM »
Cannot say enough about lynda.com  Their illy course is the bomb.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald