Author Topic: Exciting times...  (Read 7249 times)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Re: Exciting times...
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 12:22:11 PM »
300 hats on a single is nuts, honestly I bet you can sub that out and make as much or more on it. We could have that run in several hours tops.
Inkman.
I'm pondering that in my head. I know that I have to get him 80-100 by next Friday. I might be subbing out the rest if I have something else to do.
If there is nothing else to do, I'll do it. My machine will be sitting there anyway.
I'm guessing 20 hours to complete them all, and I do not mind doing that when making $60-$70/hour.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »
I wouldn't do that many on a single.  Check around, I bet you can get them sewn for under $2 each.  I have a person I use when we are booked or if the order is too large for us to run comfortably.  Her work is awesome and she is a card, do it's a great fit.

On a less fortunate note, I had a backup woman that would come in and run the equipment when we were swamped.  I'd pay her $20 an hour, but she could move like nobody's business.  She used to own an embroidery company, so she knew how valuable time was.  It was cheaper to bring her in than to pay overtime for another person.  But she's 63, and just doesn't have the stamina to run 8 hours a day anymore, so she can't help out.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 08:07:05 AM »
I wouldn't do that many on a single.  Check around, I bet you can get them sewn for under $2 each.

I did call Pierre's partner who runs embroidery side of Blue Moon and talked to him in case I get more stuff to do. Told that to my wife, and when I was doing that, my brother heard the conversation. (I forgot about him being here to visit from Europe)
He did 100 pieces last evening while I was doing other stuff (only 2400 stitches in the logo).
I think I might be finishing them in house ;)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 08:27:36 AM »
2400 stitches is nothing, I am running a left chest design with 19,000 right now.  I think the 74 pcs will put me through over 20 bobbins...I have been lining them up like little soldiers...I have plenty of time between runs.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 08:36:15 AM »
2400 stitches is nothing, I am running a left chest design with 19,000 right now.  I think the 74 pcs will put me through over 20 bobbins...I have been lining them up like little soldiers...I have plenty of time between runs.

I think that my brother did not change a sigle bobbin last night. I finished one job, did a set up on caps, put new bobbin in, and after that he just ran the rest of the evening.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 09:42:53 AM »
We are in the middle of a 7500 hat run right now.  It's nice to have big orders like that but lot's of other customers can suffer and it ties up the machines.  I had an opportunity to bid on a 20K piece screen printing order last week but they needed a fast turnaround and we would have had to only print that one job for 5 days and we have over 40 screen printing jobs in the system right now.  Trying to do 4K pieces a day for 5 days in this heat is asking for trouble as well.  Oh well, it wasn't meant to be.  Why don't 20K piece jobs come around in February?
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 10:10:29 AM »
go for it Dennis. Eventually, you'll want to sub out what can be done less expensively, and do what you do best with your equipment, or of course, start buying more equipment. But you need the experience under your belt. I worked for someone else for about 18 years before going on my own 20 years ago. Our first big job was when the Pope came to Boston in '79. We had 5 designs all being printed by hand. For one color, we had 3 people on a manual with a speed table, one loader, one unloader, and one printer. Over 200 per hour easy. I guess what I'm saying is you'll figure out what works best by experiencing doing the process yourself, then you have something to work with when contemplating the next job. One embroiderer that we print for gets tens of thousands of hats made in China.  Complete custom hats for under a buck. They lose bids over a penny. But they don't have to do anything but place phone calls, and meanwhile his machines run "normal" orders.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 10:27:35 AM »
go for it Dennis. Eventually, you'll want to sub out what can be done less expensively, and do what you do best with your equipment, or of course, start buying more equipment. But you need the experience under your belt. I worked for someone else for about 18 years before going on my own 20 years ago. Our first big job was when the Pope came to Boston in '79. We had 5 designs all being printed by hand. For one color, we had 3 people on a manual with a speed table, one loader, one unloader, and one printer. Over 200 per hour easy. I guess what I'm saying is you'll figure out what works best by experiencing doing the process yourself, then you have something to work with when contemplating the next job. One embroiderer that we print for gets tens of thousands of hats made in China.  Complete custom hats for under a buck. They lose bids over a penny. But they don't have to do anything but place phone calls, and meanwhile his machines run "normal" orders.

Steve

Steve, I understand what you are saying. If I had something else I had to embroider, sure, Michael (Pierre's partner) was willing to do it for me.
I know I need more machines, but I have a small problem with my set up. I can not have anything bigger than a single head. I can not take it into the basement. My plan is to get two more single head Tajimas (Used) and set them up next to each other. I like that set up because it I have a thread break on one, other two will keep stitching. If I get too much work that I can not do with three heads and a manual screen printer, then it will be the time to rent the place and buy multi-head and auto printer. (And quit my regular job :)  )

Offline Clark

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 11:37:19 AM »
We are in the middle of a 7500 hat run right now.  It's nice to have big orders like that but lot's of other customers can suffer and it ties up the machines.  I had an opportunity to bid on a 20K piece screen printing order last week but they needed a fast turnaround and we would have had to only print that one job for 5 days and we have over 40 screen printing jobs in the system right now.  Trying to do 4K pieces a day for 5 days in this heat is asking for trouble as well.  Oh well, it wasn't meant to be.  Why don't 20K piece jobs come around in February?

I got room for it.  :)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2011, 09:44:07 AM »

Next time I come across one of those big bids I'll forward it to you as well.  If we don't get it, I'd want a friend to have it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 09:57:35 AM »
I want in on the action too if possible...

Sam

Offline mjrprint

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 10:59:58 AM »
We are having our second lazer installed this week and two more 8 heads are on the way.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 11:06:47 AM »

Next time I come across one of those big bids I'll forward it to you as well.  If we don't get it, I'd want a friend to have it.

I can take 300-400 ;D

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 11:08:50 AM »
We are having our second lazer installed this week and two more 8 heads are on the way.

I hate you.

Just sayin'. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mjrprint

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 11:14:47 AM »
Hahaha. I don't have to deal with that side of the business  ;D. We are a large company though est. in 1991 and they have been very successful in our market (collegiate) Sometimes I wish I was at a smaller shop and got to do some contract work though. That may seem crazy lol.