Author Topic: Digital transfers for darks?  (Read 2700 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Digital transfers for darks?
« on: August 12, 2011, 02:05:20 PM »
Who does really good digital transfers?  I have a customer that wants to do them as he goes, and this is the best option if we can find a good way

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Digital transfers for darks?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 02:17:45 PM »
There are products out there that have you print ink jet or laser, right reading onto a white sheet that then gets trimmed. Awkward on odd shapes, good idea to print shirt color outline to help with the trim.
Myself, I have been unhappy with the adhesion to the shirt, but thousands of folks use 'em successfully.

For odd shapes, if you can handle a little more hand, cad-color is the way to go.

Otherwise, does the design require digital? If not, folks like Ace make some nice plastisol transfers.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 02:21:24 PM »
These are odd shapes, and I haven't been impressed with what I have seen.  It would work better if I had a dark shirt DTG, but I don't.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 04:03:05 PM »
I forgot to mention a product from Neenah, which, though I have a sample, have not tried yet. It is one of their two-part Image Clip products which essentially just sticks an adhesive on the printed area, solving the trimming issue.
I suggest you look at Paper Ranch or Coastal or Neenah itself for a sample.

http://www.thepaperranch.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=23&cat=PAPERS+%26+MEDIA

http://www.coastalbusiness.com/
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 04:42:21 PM »
brad -ours suck, I'm tellin ya right now, you don't want to use it. they feel like a shower curtain. . .time to invest in a dark dtg. . speaking of, Sam sell his yet?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline aauusa

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 06:03:53 PM »
check out transfer express,  they me able to do what you are looking for.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 09:41:09 PM »
is sam selling his?  i didn't know that.  I have not been terribly impressed with any of the epson based DTG machines

I will check out transfer express

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 11:02:44 AM »
Transfer Express' Cad-Printz are pretty good. I use them a lot for aprons and totes, and the occasiional short run tees. I show the sample to folks, and sometimes they're fine with that, other times not. But if they like it, then they make a good durable product. If they want to go another route, we do that too. I'm proud of being a screenprinter, but we have to look at ourselves as decorators too, so whatever takes care of the customer is best. I've had a few jobs run on the Kornit machines, and they come out fine.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 11:13:56 AM »
I think the Kornit's are the best by far.  But this doesn't solve the problem of transfers.  We tried the laser, and ink jet transfers and wasn't happy with the results.  If you have someone close that has a DTG I would go that route I guess.  That is what I have done.

Offline SkylinePrints

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 11:52:43 AM »
CadPrintz is one option. 

How many shirts? Full color? http://www.transferfreedom.com/

this is another option.

or you can get the Brother 7 series dtg.   ;)
Have a great day! :)
 Nathan Harrison Skyline Prints Embroidery & Screen Printing 4982 Bill Gardner Pkwy  Locust Grove, GA 30248  (770) 914-1558  www.SkylinePrints.com  Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/skylineprints or Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/skylineprints

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 09:41:04 AM »
Yeah, I wish.  The last print I saw from the Kornit wasn't that good.  It looked like too much ink was going down the it was running together and puddling up.  I like the Brother prints WAY better, but I still don't have $60,000 lying around.