Author Topic: Scanners for exposure  (Read 1381 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Scanners for exposure
« on: April 23, 2014, 04:05:51 PM »
The other night I was looking at some vids about LED exposure units and saw this guy that claims to be the the inventor of if (http://youtu.be/NggKi96gGNY) link if any one wants to check it out.  Any way I had my scanner open and thought would it be possible to expose a small cap screen with it, that scanner light is very bright and looks to be all uv...what you guys think about that.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
Re: Scanners for exposure
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
Doesn't hurt to try then let us know

RT Screen Designs
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 07:53:41 PM »
Dude Darryl you got to t try it! I would but I went "Office Space" on our machine about a week and a half ago...
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:19:34 PM »
Dude Darryl you got to t try it! I would but I went "Office Space" on our machine about a week and a half ago...

Haahaaa. Nice, NEVER let the machines win. NEVER !!

Murphy37

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 12:37:30 AM »
Seen more than a few vids of scanners rigged with LEDs.  Still think a panel would be the way to go, but it would be cheaper just doing a row.

Problem then is, how do you time the sweep?  Handy with MCUs and stepper drivers? 

TCT--I know what you mean.  I used to have a crappy printer that didn't know every dog has his day, until he seen his.  ;)

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 10:35:47 AM »
Darryl, I checked this unit out in LB, I must say I was very impressed.  Shawn knows his stuff and I have his unit in my top 2 choices.

Chris 

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:40:32 AM »
PC load letter wtf

Roger
RT screen designs
Www.rtscreendesigns. Com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »
Parker since you seen this one in person what is the difference in his unit and the M&R unit.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 05:22:23 PM »
The biggest difference I noticed, the M&R unit has rows of LED.  Shawn's unit uses the Multi-Spectrum clusters or modules.  From what I gathered if a row of lights go out in an M&R your down until M&R overnights you a new one, I do not know how difficult it is to change this out.  With the module system you simply switch the light cluster in the middle with one in the corner and you are running until Shawn can overnight you a new one.  The screens I compared using a 10X loupe IMO the Light Speed unit was better with no noticeable undercutting.  The M&R unit is faster by 30-45 sec.  There are other differences, I just am unable to remember, with out my notes.

Chris

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 06:20:48 PM »
A scanner for exposure...  :o

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 08:10:11 PM »
Darryl,
The idea is good, but I don't know about it's practicality. My guess is that with the current type of light source in it, (even if) the light source is strong "enough" to expose the most sensitive or fastest emulsion, that light source has to be at just the right strength (during that pass). I think for this to have a chance of working, the light would have to be stationary over the emulsion for a given amount of time (the time needed for a proper exposure) of that chosen emulsion.
As it is, scanners (scan) or pass over an image faster or slower based on (image resolution). So, in theory, it's a possibility.
My guess is that the intensity of the light may not be strong enough (at those speeds available).  It's a good thought and one that would be at the least, interesting to see the results. Maybe if the light source was converted to something stronger it might work, but it would have to be much greater than something like a florescent tube...passing over the stencil at different speeds. Even Flo tube light sources uses multiple tubes (to build direct (or close to) direct light strength. The image and light source is stationary for a given time....and those times as we know, are pretty long due to the strength.
One thing in it's favor (as far as time goes), is that if it were able to be at a speed long enough to actually expose a specific emulsion type, at least if the scan setting was at a high enough "image resolution" could be that it crept along so slow, and the scanner bed is not (that long), may increase the chance enough of it finally reaching a point to make a good exposure. It has some possibilities at least.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850