Author Topic: Flo color issues  (Read 812 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Flo color issues
« on: April 23, 2014, 05:04:17 PM »
We always seem to have an issue with flo. color discharge, where the pigment seems to be seperating, and the ink just becomes this weird jello-y mass, that wiggles around.

With continous printing it prints fine, but it's really hard to get a great flood, without someone standing on top of it moving the ink around.

Any idea what causes this, and what we can do to prevent it? We are using Sericol flo. pink (also with magenta), and 4% activator
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Flo color issues
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 06:49:50 PM »
Sounds like it's the dreaded PH Balance issue.  Call your dealer/rep and see what they have to bring it back in balance.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:04:43 AM »
Ah, that could be it! Colin what's optimal ph on wb and activated DC? If there is a static figure that is. It would be nice to have ph strips on hand and necessary modifiers.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:56:34 AM »
I keep kicking myself when I see this question come up!

I cannot for the life of me remember which direction it needs to go :(

I want to say that WB is on the basic side of the spectrum.  But I would have to ask a chemist......
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:03:47 AM »
i just called sericol and asked about it, but they are just saying,

"sorry it's just part of our reds and pinks"

which i don't think is a very good answer.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:36:56 AM »
The various products used in red dyes, inks, paints, etc are quite fickle. They exhibit metameric properties, are subject to change when subjected to heat, are aggressive, and many DC users may find that they have the shortest shelf life upon activation. So; not much help there but it is what it is and has been that way since cave painting. You can try CCIs vs but that will likely yield similar results as that product sort of carried over from Sericol. We pre homogenize and use a wing fldbr