Author Topic: Some step by step stuff  (Read 4034 times)

Offline lemorris

Some step by step stuff
« on: April 30, 2014, 02:08:24 PM »

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Some step by step stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:20:35 PM »
Love the textures. Some of that other art you did last year with textures would be cool to see here also.  That stuff is a little different than what we usually see out of car art and excels. I often think it would be cool to shift the trend of smooth and shiny to the more textures. Typical photoshop on tees is mostly air brushy. Even with that, you excel at the wet and reflected look. Colors are great as well.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Boldline

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:21:07 PM »
I really like your work! Do you work exclusively with photoshop or also jump into Illustrator? With Photoshop since its a resolution/size restriction do you design at a larger size in case you want to use your work for larger projects?
Mat Woodworth
Bold Line Design
www.boldlinedesign.com
twitter: @boldlinedesign
facebook: www.facebook.com/boldlinedesignllc

Offline lemorris

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 08:59:13 PM »
thanks DTD

I'm gonna do a toon one next and there will be more texture and more painting in that.

I'm pretty much just Photoshop these days.  I came up through Jeri Clow so I have a pretty extensive Illustrator background though.

I render in PS at 300 dpi and just above shirt size.  I haven't had any size issues.  Peoria VW has a huge trailer with my art wrapped around it, and it looks great.  Since I don't get much call for large format stuff, I don't worry about it.  I like working in Photoshop for now, so...it is what it is.  :)

:)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 03:46:00 AM »
Seriously impressive work and an absolutely excellent tutorial.  I am going to apply a lot of the tricks you detailed for other types of work.  I really don't do car stuff, but it will apply to a lot of other themes.

Yet another thread that makes this forum top notch and essential to any screenprinter/artist trying to improve their process and product.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 11:42:50 AM »
He mentions Jeri Clow, and she has a package explaining a lot of the techniques (narrated by Lemorris) if you can get in touch with her, I bet she still sells it. Very reasonable too, cheap actually. I haven't even clicked the link yet, but I know it's great, it always is.

Steve

OK, just looked, stunning, as always.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:45:51 AM by Sbrem »
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 04:00:16 PM »
Speaking of Jeri hows she doing, I think her son took over the website or has his own....I know at one time she had eye troubles and was stepping away from some work.  that lady is the bomb on some car art love looking at her work and Lemorris your right in step with her.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline lemorris

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 09:15:20 PM »
She's ok...life isn't fair, that's for sure.

She is a person of faith though and she makes her way.

her son Chad has taken over the business and is doin ok.  It's just tough to get top dollar even if your name is Clow without the time in craft.  he's a great young man though and he works as hard as any of.

I don't really draw in Illustrator at all anymore...once in a while, but I do all my text and stuff there and like this week, I did some semi-technical illustrations of a hollowed out baseball bat and rubber cap....I know...who knew.

I also don't render in PS channels anymore.  I use layers and clipping masks and paths and all that stuff.

For seps on the high-end jobs, I go to http://www.myseps.com  Scott is amazing...he's fast and he's top notch.  It's kinda like why people come to me.  if you want the (insert whatever here) to be good...go to an expert in that.  At $15 a color, Scott is very affordable and his printing background gives him insight.  I haven't had a printer not love his seps.

Now...on the non complicated I do my own seps.  Actually on the semi-complicated I do my own and I use Ultra-seps.  It's frekkin awesome.  A little tweaking with a little knowledge can be a powerful thing.

I'm not like those top cats.  I'm not high-end at all.  I just hustle.  Jeri taught me that too.  :)

Get down how I do and make it happen how I can.  I know you cats get that.

Fortunately our industry has grown to a point where you have many options with highly skilled people.  It's kinda cool.

:)