Author Topic: ((((workhorse Help))))  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
((((workhorse Help))))
« on: May 16, 2014, 08:06:37 PM »
My dryer just burned a wire and stopped. At 5pm on friday with a discharge job of 500 shirts set up and runny smooth. What luck I have. If anyone from workhorse tech department is on here please help.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: ((((workhorse Help))))
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Which wire burned?  I have the wiring diagrams...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 08:19:30 PM »
Its the 5217 dryer.

The brown wire that connects at the bottom of the main power switch inside the control box is burned about a inch from the switch. It runs from switch to the first fuse. It is the main power lead, I think. It didn't throw the breaker and the fuse looks ok but I don't know how to check the fuses. I'm guessing the main power switch just burned up. There is a green wire right above the brown wire (top to the bottom brown wire) that was smoking when I opened the the box. It was also making a clicking noise.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 08:32:11 PM »
Just looked at it again. Sorry just going from memory on my last post) Its not brown (just brown were it is burned). There is 3 wires coming out the bottom of the switch back inside the box. All 3 wires are black. The one that is burned comes out of T3. That wire connects to the 2nd fuse in a row (from front to back)

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 08:42:39 PM »
Connections were/are loose. If it's a main lead between the switch and fuse holders replace with same size wire. Should be able to get some at local home improvement store. Get stranded not solid wire THHN, THWN or equil. Most likely fuses are fine. Check all the connections for tightness, they will come loose after a while from the constant expanding and contraction from the heat. Take it a step further pull all the main leads one at a time and make sure they are not corroded or burnt. From what you are describing the wire was loose, generated heat and finally melted down.
Pick up an inexpensive multi tester if you do not already have one. Set it to ohm's (omega symbol), remove each fuse and touch the test leads to each end of the fuse. A digital meter should read "0" for a good fuse OL for a bad one, analog needle should move all the way to the right for good, not move for bad. Do not hold the metal part of the probes with your fingers, you could get a false positive, your body is a great conductor.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 10:46:34 PM »
Big thanks to Pierre. I just got off the phone with him. After some testing its one of the terminals on the main disconnect that is fried. Pierre helped me with a work around so I can get back up and running. Good thing too this job really needs to be done Monday. I will come back in tomorrow and finish up.

Thanks again Pierre for the call. I honestly was just going to give up and wait for workhorse to call me on Monday. I have to say it is a good feeling knowing what is wrong.