Author Topic: Woody  (Read 8566 times)

Offline lemorris

Woody
« on: May 19, 2014, 12:32:55 AM »
I find it hard to believe I'm the only one working on stuff, but that appears to be the case....crickets

Today's fun

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Woody
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 08:49:50 AM »
I am always so impressed by your work, and the techniques you use to make a digital image look like really cool sketches...

I truly wish sometimes I had the skills to do stuff from scratch, and not just put other people's clip art together.

thanks for sharing!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 01:15:12 PM »
Hey, what's with the Watermark, don't you trust us ;D Great as always, man.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline lemorris

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 08:48:01 PM »
I hate it, but unfortunately it comes with the job.  I fought it as long as I could...some of these old dogs may recall......it's a bummer but I've had a lot of stuff ripped off so......

:(

Offline Boldline

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 12:12:52 AM »

Hey, what's with the Watermark, don't you trust us ;D Great as always, man.

Steve

LOL

Mat Woodworth
www.boldlinedesign.com

Mat Woodworth
Bold Line Design
www.boldlinedesign.com
twitter: @boldlinedesign
facebook: www.facebook.com/boldlinedesignllc

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 11:31:54 AM »
I hate it, but unfortunately it comes with the job.  I fought it as long as I could...some of these old dogs may recall......it's a bummer but I've had a lot of stuff ripped off so......

no surprise there; the older I get, the more I realize people suck. Still, I'm nice to everyone, because that's what one is supposed to do. I get tons of "art" that is ripped off, only to explain the whole deal to the customer, "No, we can't do that..."

Steve

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »

no surprise there; the older I get, the more I realize people suck. Still, I'm nice to everyone, because that's what one is supposed to do. I get tons of "art" that is ripped off, only to explain the whole deal to the customer, "No, we can't do that..."

Steve

we just tell them to contact the creator and offer few shirts with their art on them. It has worked more than once already.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline lemorris

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 10:24:31 AM »
anyway...kinda landed in here.  quick and dirty

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 11:57:56 AM »

Steve

we just tell them to contact the creator and offer few shirts with their art on them. It has worked more than once already.

pierre

Thanks, Pierre, I'll keep that one in mind.

Steve

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 08:03:14 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I wish I had just 10% of your skills.

Always enjoy seeing your awesome stuff. 

Keep up the good work (I know you will, lol)
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline JohnRoberts

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 08:52:25 AM »
Really wonderful work. Cool is just not a good enough word for what you achieve, would it be impolite to ask what the average amount of time is that you put in to an illustration? Also, do you have to let it sit occasionally to get a fresh perspective?  Again, great work. 

Offline lemorris

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
I didn't give this one a lot of detail or texture so It only took a couple days really. 

I work on many jobs at once, kinda like old world painters used to do.  I do it that way on purpose so I don't think about time in a piece.  I found that when I measured that way I had a tendency to worry more about $$ per hour instead of getting better at drawing.

It's a weird approach but it really works for me.  I'm fortunate to be in a position to not have to take on projects I don't want to do so that helps me as well.

:)

Offline JohnRoberts

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 08:42:21 AM »
If this is too off topic someone just say so and I will re post in a new thread. But can dedication to design be reconciled with practical business necessity?  It seems like I get to the point of resenting the amount of time it takes to execute to the best of my ability. Are design and compensation mutually exclusive goals? Or is it a matter of finding balance? Also could it be that designing well is a loss leader in order to get the print run? Again sorry for straying.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 11:13:45 AM »
If this is too off topic someone just say so and I will re post in a new thread. But can dedication to design be reconciled with practical business necessity?  It seems like I get to the point of resenting the amount of time it takes to execute to the best of my ability. Are design and compensation mutually exclusive goals? Or is it a matter of finding balance? Also could it be that designing well is a loss leader in order to get the print run? Again sorry for straying.

I discovered years ago that many people do what I do, so it's not necessarily the skill level, but the expression. You (any of us) should want our customers to us because we are "us", in other words, you can't get Lemorris' work, or Dan's, or Scott's anywhere else but them, or our work from us. When a new customer calls, you want to hear them say, "So and so says you are the man (or woman)" At that point, you get paid what you want to be paid. I am not a top notch artist, in fact I don't consider myself an artist at all because I only create for work, absolutely never privately, though our full time staff artist is extremely good, we have customers sing her praises. But people like the work from our shop. They know the work will be considered carefully along with the materials we have to print on. If someone is shopping price, let them get what they pay for.

Steve

Offline lemorris

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 11:43:18 AM »
I don't think design and compensation are mutually exclusive at all.  I do believe that art is a very individual thing though.  What's going on in my head and how I'm expressing is stuff that isn't measured in dollars.  So from a more practical business sense it's important to find a way to feed your pursuit, and your family.  For me...dollars per hour doesn't work.  I mean...If I have a dream about what I'm gonna do on a piece, do I charge that?  LOLOL...cause it happens. 

Naw....I don't.  I just charge by the job and put into it what I put into it.  Having more than one thing going keeps me fresh and focused on art.  The money will work itself out.  If you draw it, they will buy it.  If you can get good like Scott, Jeremy, Mitch, Ron....those cats....well then they will buy it for more $$ and you still get to be an artist.  That's where I want to get to.

:)