Author Topic: Riley Hopkins Aero 6 color 4 station Reviews/Feedback  (Read 18231 times)

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
Riley Hopkins Aero 6 color 4 station Reviews/Feedback
« on: August 15, 2011, 08:00:22 PM »
Anybody have an reviews/feedback on this press? Any model specifics to know about? Is this a current press?

Riley Hopkins Aero 6 color 4 station
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Riley Hopkins Aero 6 color 4 station Reviews/Feedback
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:21:30 PM »
Whatever you do do not get the joystick reg. It sucks. Micros all the way. I know someone with the joystick and it is a mother F'r to reg. It does hold reg well one registered but getting there is the issue.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:45:34 PM »
Agreed. Do not get the joystick. Most the people who say they like it have never used micros before. I think for the price of a 6/4 Aero series, you can get something nicer and more robust.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:14:46 PM »
There are aot of other presses out there that are better and with micros. I have the WIN series and I cant stand it anymore. The hardest thing to do is a small move with a joystick. I thought about the aero with micros and the aluminum platen upgrade but you can get an Anatol Lighting 6/6 with side clamps and rubber coated 16x20 platens and nice micros for cheaper than the aero without side clamps.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 01:54:33 PM »
For the price of the Lightning, I would switch over in a heart beat, but I think it's like 1-2 feet bigger in diameter then my Win series, so I could never fit it in my basement.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
For the price of the Lightning, I would switch over in a heart beat, but I think it's like 1-2 feet bigger in diameter then my Win series, so I could never fit it in my basement.
The Lightning 6/4 is 9.5 ft, the Win is 8 ft . That sucks that it wont fit. I just wish I could see a Lightning in person.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 06:46:06 PM »
Yeah Just measured one more time, no go. I was going to sell my equipment and go with a custom Vastex shop for my basement, but I refuse to buy another 18" wide belt dryer and that is all I can fit. So option 2 is sell the stuff and print my orders from my boss's place.. but I did like the convenience of printing at home. Now I'll have to work around his schedule. On the bright side - I'll have access to a metal halide exposure unit, antec legend and a much faster dryer.

Offline rushhourscreen

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:41:22 AM »
Well, I've used plenty of micros in the past 26 years and I find the joystick to be the easiest way to register screens.  I've had a Hopkins Win series 6 color for 10 years now and it is just as great as it was when new.  How can you not love a micro (the joystick) that can move in any direction, not just up and down and side to side?  If your joystick won't make micro moves you need to clean & lube your press.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »
One thing I have considered but would like to see in person is Riley Hopkins came out with the Maximo micros and that combines the joystick and standard micros. That would be really good cause you can make your big moves with the joystick and really fine tune with the micros.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 11:14:34 AM »
Where does the Aero rank in the hierarchy of RH presses?
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 11:39:25 AM »
A visit to the Riley Hopkins website gives prices and specs of the current models which may help answer this.
http://www.rileyhopkins.com/
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »
Where does the Aero rank in the hierarchy of RH presses?
The Aero is their top of the line press

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 07:10:52 PM »
I can get the registration dead on with the joystick, the biggest problem I have is that the registration shifts when you tighten down the joystick locks. Even when I tighten them really slow, or both simultaneously. I've tried holding the joystick while tightening, holding the screen while tightening.. it always moves, so that drives me nuts. On the Antec, I get something to register, and it stays there when I lock it down. Hell, I've even forgot to lock down the micros on the Antec and it still held registration. After I sell my press I'm going to invest in some new pallets and some replacement parts for the Legend and I'm going to give that bad boy a face lift, then it will be good to go. 

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »
I am going to go look at an old Workhorse 8/8 all heads down on Saturday. I am hoping for a diamond in the ruff but I doubt it. I think I can get it for 1K

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 07:27:01 AM »
Like Nation03 said, Antec is the way to go. I have 18 year-old Legend 6/4 and ir holds great registration, and it is breeze to set up.
Also, one of the lightest presses to operate due to the light aluminum arms. You have to think about your arms after a few hours of turning the press.