Author Topic: CYMK Ink Question  (Read 4553 times)

Offline larryk

• !!!
Re: CYMK Ink Question
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 03:33:57 PM »
Thanks Kevin.... I am looking forward to trying them and I will let you know how they work for me. LarryK

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 05:48:57 PM »
Awesome indeed!......... Midwest told me they had to get the 3X from Union because they don't stock it (along with a lot of other stuff) and a 2 week delivery. Any info on who else might have some in stock.......... Thanks.

Roger Jennings sells it: http://rjennings.3dcartstores.com/Process-PRPE_c_25.html

Also here, if you want the non-pthalate version . . .http://www.screenprintingsupply.com/Union-EF-Tru-Tone-3X-Four-Color-Kit_p_12063.html
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 05:51:28 PM by tpitman »
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 06:31:35 PM »
...The Union Triple strength is what I use. As someone who isn't really savvy in adjusting seps digitally, this is the way to go. I have a quart of each color based down 50% I can go to on-press if one color is too strong in the print, and I can usually make other adjustments from there to hit the colors well enough.

...the thing I really like about this stuff is that it doesnt get all washed out when printing on top of a solid  underbase.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 09:29:34 AM »
Not as spectacularly luscious as Dirk Diggler's prints, but this was a process over white base job I did for a customer using the 3X inks. Probably could have done it in 6 spot colors, but they had a limited budget and asked me to get as much color as I could within their budget. I had some extra time to redo seps and screens if necessary, but I thought it turned out decently for a clip art job. Shirts were multiple colors, including black.
This one was a reject because I buggered up the print where it hit the neckline.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:32:17 AM by tpitman »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
Awesome indeed!......... Midwest told me they had to get the 3X from Union because they don't stock it (along with a lot of other stuff) and a 2 week delivery. Any info on who else might have some in stock.......... Thanks.

Midwest has been disappointing the hell out of me more and more.
I went to Beckmar in SoCal last time for some Union Maxo quarts and even got a much better price. One more day on the shipping, but they have a new customer.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 10:25:37 AM »
Not as spectacularly luscious as Dirk Diggler's prints, but this was a process over white base job I did for a customer using the 3X inks. Probably could have done it in 6 spot colors, but they had a limited budget and asked me to get as much color as I could within their budget. I had some extra time to redo seps and screens if necessary, but I thought it turned out decently for a clip art job. Shirts were multiple colors, including black.
This one was a reject because I buggered up the print where it hit the neckline.

nice cmyk on that color! Mine SUCK!  Learning though.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 10:38:49 AM »
Dirk-Ok humle dude, those don't suck.
What is the perfectionist in you saying?

Tpitman - what mesh specs and such?
Nice to see those kind of inks over white UB.
Wash ok?

Thanks guys

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 10:58:03 AM »
All of my cmyk are 305 mesh, although as soon as my I image is installed, I am going down to a 230 or  272 for more opacity, not sure how that will work, but gonna try.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 02:18:55 PM »
Dirk-Ok humle dude, those don't suck.
What is the perfectionist in you saying?

Tpitman - what mesh specs and such?
Nice to see those kind of inks over white UB.
Wash ok?

Thanks guys

305 for the colors, I think a 156 for the white, all at 22.5 degrees. I'm starting to go more towards 195s or 230s for under basing and adding a highlight white.

I really don't do a lot of this, but I've found the 3X inks much easier to work with in terms of getting the result I'm expecting. I print next to no white tees.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 02:26:58 PM »
btw,  mine have a highlight white after the Y.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 03:00:42 PM »

Midwest has been disappointing the hell out of me more and more.
I went to Beckmar in SoCal last time for some Union Maxo quarts and even got a much better price. One more day on the shipping, but they have a new customer.

Funny, they were the ones pushing 3x years ago, and then when we went to buy, didn't have stock.  Sounds like a winning strategy.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 01:24:10 PM »
tpitman that's what I was looking for in colors those really pop kind like it was a spot color print, where as my cymk looks pastel at times, so I tend to use cymk on those type prints, but if I can get a print to look like that it might open up a whole new market for me using less colors than the normal spot colors.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »
I've done a couple of jobs printing regular process colors directly on white tees, and, on a manual press, each squeegee pull has to be pretty damn close to the others from shirt to shirt.
I usually print out a white "printer" plate via QuikSeps, and Steve recommends using one even on whites to help control the other colors. With the 3X colors I double the under base then work in the highlight, both via "Apply Image" in Photoshop to create a new under base for darker shirts.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »
Got my sample pack of 3x inks, thanks Kevin and I got a job I will be printing in the next week so I post results if I don't stink it up.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline larryk

• !!!
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 11:21:51 AM »
Got the sample inks from Kevin and put them to use yesterday. We are happy with the results and the inks were easy to use. No underbase on some lighter color shirts and the customer was happy with them. Printed on the manual with 280 statics that aren't real tight.... so with some rollers stretched tight I figure we can do better on the auto.... but overall OK for now.