Author Topic: 100% Poly Questions!!!  (Read 4837 times)

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
Re: 100% Poly Questions!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 11:25:31 AM »
Anybody know a good place around Indy to get a probe thats not gonna kill me price wise? lol

I grabbed a used Aeroflex last week on Ebay for $70 shipped, they're around if you search a bit.  Sounds like you may need it a bit quicker though.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline rockerdude

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 11:40:47 AM »
At 330 on the gun it seems to not be cracking? Just afraid to roll with it!!!!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 01:04:32 PM »
If the gun is reading 310 then it's likely the ink temp at the threads is only around 260, 270 maybe.  If you had a reading of 360 then an average ink deposit should have reached around 320 to 330.  We use the donut probe all the time and I also use the IR gun along with it so I know what temps the ink is hitting when using the gun for a quick spot check.  Now this is with a gas, Sprint International dryer so our numbers won't likely be identical but it should give you an idea.  When my gun reads 370, I'm overcuring.  That's not going to have much of an affect on the print though, just wasting gas and time.  With the average plastisol ink, at around 350 the resins soften and you'll start to see some remelting so with the inks that cure at 290 I'd imagine (totally guessing here) the remelting temp would be close to 320.  Maybe some ink gurus will chime in on that. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline rockerdude

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 06:07:28 PM »
We'll.... I just ordered a probe on amazon for a Monday delivery. I just don't wanna take the chance on these coming back to me! Lol
Alan. It seems that there is about a 30-40 degree difference in the cure and the gun on your end. It may be close on mine also if I'm getting no cracks at 330ish and a cure temp of 290-300 on the top score ink. I'll know for sure Monday evening though!!!! Not cheap but.... It is worth the piece of mind I guess!!!
Thanks guys!!!

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 10:50:30 PM »
Right at 24 seconds in the chamber?

I know this will go against popular opinion, but run a few through at 315-325F with a 90 second dwell in the oven and go from there.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline rockerdude

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 11:53:45 AM »
Ok so got the probe and a ton of info from the great people at Nazdar and wilflex!!! Thank you again Peter and Nancy!!!!
In a 6 shirt group first shirt 324 on probe 410 on gun.  6th shirt 289 - 292 on probe 368 on gun.
But....no cracking in ink after.  But in the hot ones green outline is faded a little? 55 seconds in chamber. Do I just close my eyes and run with it or try to get it stabilized?

Offline rockerdude

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 11:54:55 AM »
I guess my main concern is. Why in the hell is there almost a 100 degree difference in the gun and probe?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »
Color of shirts, density of fabric, number of shirts in chamber can all affect temp readings.

In my dryer, an old American Phoenix Electric, it is not uncommon to get a spike of close to 395 on a gun to get a 310-320 cure down to the bottom of an ink layer. This high reading is only for an instant just before exit.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »
It is all about retention time in the oven.

It can take at least 30 seconds - or more - for a thicker ink layer to reach cure temp at the BOTTOM of the layer.  It's all about how fast the ink can absorb heat.

If you are able:  You can flash the shirt just before pulling it off the press to elevate the temperature of the ink before it enters your dryer.

Also:  all dryers have heat flustuations.  This is normal.  This is part of why you are seeing a large swing on temps.  Also the aforementioned absorption of heat by garment and ink.  This pulls heat from the chamber and your dryer now has to ramp up the heat.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline rockerdude

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 12:32:02 AM »
Ok... Been so busy haven't had time to come back and thank everyone for their help! Order was delivered on time and cured!!! Thanks again to The fine folks at Nazdar and Wilflex!!! On a great note... They sold out of the polys in like 4 days and just placed a reorder for 300 more as soon as I can get them! Again, thanks to everyone for the pointers. You guys ROCK!

Offline rockerdude

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 12:34:13 AM »
Almost forgot.... LOVE the top score ink!

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 07:16:49 AM »
Ok... Been so busy haven't had time to come back and thank everyone for their help! Order was delivered on time and cured!!! Thanks again to The fine folks at Nazdar and Wilflex!!! On a great note... They sold out of the polys in like 4 days and just placed a reorder for 300 more as soon as I can get them! Again, thanks to everyone for the pointers. You guys ROCK!

Danny:  Thanks for the update, and for the kind words of recognition for Nancy Brown, Steve Hedge and the Technical Services Team at PolyOne Wilflex.  These folks are a great resource that provide a fantastic level of knowledge and support with challenging print applications.  I'm glad to hear that everything worked out so well, and that the customer is coming back with reorders.
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662