Author Topic: [WANTED] Used Auto - Bottom of the Barrel  (Read 45661 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: [WANTED] Used Auto - Bottom of the Barrel
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2014, 11:56:38 AM »
well y'all arent making this easy for me haha

I'm not sure what to do really...I need an auto and this is well within my pricerange, but it would suck to get a DOA machine and have to do substantial repairs or part it out...

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2014, 12:02:57 PM »
well y'all arent making this easy for me haha

I'm not sure what to do really...I need an auto and this is well within my pricerange, but it would suck to get a DOA machine and have to do substantial repairs or part it out...

Based on the photos, seller feedback, cleanliness of the shop in the photos, and description, I'd be very surprised if that press arrived DOA.  There are Javelins out there in much worse condition that crank out shirts on a daily basis.  But, stranger things have happened so if you haven't seen it running, there's no guarantees.  For 3k I'd say its worth the risk, but I also have a feeling the auction will be ending a bit higher than that.

Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2014, 12:06:11 PM »
Do it man!

That's a LOT of positive feedback.  I think he's legit.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2014, 12:08:30 PM »
If it doesn't I guess I'll try to grab it for around 3k...

If it goes much higher than that, I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the advice!

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2014, 12:13:18 PM »
If it doesn't I guess I'll try to grab it for around 3k...

If it goes much higher than that, I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the advice!

push it to 4k if you have to

Wait, was I just talking out loud?

Good luck!  :D
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »
Center shaft bearing. That's all I'm going to say. Just about anything else can be fixed, replaced, patched but if the bearing or shaft is bad it's worth nothing more then scrap. Generally speaking that goes for just about any press.

Most likely the carriage blocks and maybe the tracks are worn.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2014, 12:28:54 PM »
Guessing you didn't get it based on the ID's of who the winning bid was.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2014, 12:33:42 PM »
Yea lost it, but I feel better having it go up to $4k.  I really wasn't willing to go that high without at least seeing it run.

I'll just keep being patient I guess!  Hopefully something comes up soon though cause I need to automate :D

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2014, 04:46:01 PM »
Center shaft bearing. That's all I'm going to say. Just about anything else can be fixed, replaced, patched but if the bearing or shaft is bad it's worth nothing more then scrap. Generally speaking that goes for just about any press.

Most likely the carriage blocks and maybe the tracks are worn.

How best to check this on old Javelins and Gauntlets, etc.?

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2014, 06:01:38 PM »
Table up grab a pallet 90 degrees from the lift cylinders lift up and push down hard a worn press will have a thump to it and you can feel the whole thing moving up and down. Do it several times, someone can cheat an grease the crap out of the center shaft with heavy grease that can hide the problem.

Or Run the press with 3 or 4 colors printing a diffrent speeds, place your hand on a pallet as it's printing and you can feel thump, the table move and in some cases see the pallets move.

Or it will show in the print, if reg bearings and forks are all good and the reg is all over the place, assuming the pallets or something else is not loose or no tak on the pallets it could be the bearing and warrants further investigation.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2014, 06:13:59 PM »
Great information!  I'll be sure to add that to my list of things to check.  Are there any other tests like this that are a must when buying any auto?

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »
As long as parts are avaliable mainly the programmed PLC you should be ok. Please don't think if the PLC is bad you'll just pick up a generic one and program the ladders unless it's something you do everyday. Just consider how much your willing to spend to get a press up and running and if you are willing to loose some of that money when you move onto another press. Don't guess on what it will cost price it out, the way things are today never just assume the cost. What you and I think should be a $50 part the vendor thinks it should be $500.

Make sure it comes with everything you need like squeegees, flood bars, clamps if needed, GOOD pallets, etc. This is the stuff that will nickel and dime you.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:28:58 PM by Binkspot »

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2014, 05:38:51 PM »
Table up grab a pallet 90 degrees from the lift cylinders lift up and push down hard a worn press will have a thump to it and you can feel the whole thing moving up and down. Do it several times, someone can cheat an grease the crap out of the center shaft with heavy grease that can hide the problem.

Or Run the press with 3 or 4 colors printing a diffrent speeds, place your hand on a pallet as it's printing and you can feel thump, the table move and in some cases see the pallets move.

Or it will show in the print, if reg bearings and forks are all good and the reg is all over the place, assuming the pallets or something else is not loose or no tak on the pallets it could be the bearing and warrants further investigation.

Excellent trick for checking this.  I couldn't really think of a way to but rocking in the direction opposite the lift cyl would totally tell you a lot about what's going on with the shaft/bearing. 

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2014, 11:47:13 AM »
Been a few weeks now, and still no luck.  There seem to be very few options out there right now.  If anyone knows a shop about to upgrade or knows a tech or rep with their ear to the ground so to speak, let me know!  The school year is about to start and production is about 2 weeks away from getting crazy for me.

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA