Author Topic: 1 colour white on darks plastisol.  (Read 3724 times)

Offline Dochertyscott

1 colour white on darks plastisol.
« on: July 05, 2014, 05:56:27 AM »
At how many units would you bother setting up 2 screens on auto when printing white on darks 1 colour print?
Scott

PRINT TO LIVE, LIVE TO PRINT!

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: 1 colour white on darks plastisol.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 06:31:05 AM »
At how many units would you bother setting up 2 screens on auto when printing white on darks 1 colour print?
Probably 300 pcs. But first I always try now to push the client towards discharge.

Offline Dochertyscott

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 06:46:15 AM »
Yeah not quite setup for discharge yet... Plasti only at this stage. But if it was discharge can you print a nice white with one screen one hit?
Scott

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 07:03:06 AM »
50, that's where it makes sense for us to set that 2nd screen up.  And yes, depending on the garment you can definitely achieve a great white with that one screen and no flash.  That's one if the major benefits to discharge!  What are you waiting for?

Offline Dochertyscott

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 07:10:36 AM »
50, that's where it makes sense for us to set that 2nd screen up.  And yes, depending on the garment you can definitely achieve a great white with that one screen and no flash.  That's one if the major benefits to discharge!  What are you waiting for?

Cool, looking forward to giving it a whirl.
Hmm better ventilation and an air forced dryer is what I'm waiting for.
Here in NZ the only discharge we can get is Rutland I think. Is that a good discharge ink?
Scott

Offline Get Shirts

1 colour white on darks plastisol.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 07:14:28 AM »
Right on.  Is better ventilation something you can change on your own?  If so, that's the only thing holding you back.  We have had success with Rutland's discharge, it's not bad, and you definitely don't need a forced air dryer to successfully complete the discharge process... but it does help.

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 07:57:03 AM »

IMHO, the answer to this question starts with what does it cost you to process a screen?  In this case the second screen would use the same art / film as the first so you would be looking at a list of expenses for the second screen that include; Coating, Exposing, Tape & Block out, Set-up on Press, then Cleaning the Screen, Squeegee, and Flood bar, and Reclaiming the screen after the print run. 

I don't know your business, but typical costs for a second screen without film would range from around $10.00 at the low end, up to $15.00 at the high end.   Once you have this number the math is fairly simple; "Is a $12.00 investment in a second screen going to save you more time and produce a better print than PFP with a single screen?"  Another way of looking at it is the additional cost per print for the second screen.  Example $12.00 screen expense divided by 24 shirts = $0.50 per shirt

The attached image is a screen shot of a simple production cost calculator that I developed to try and identify screen-print production costs.  Please feel free to PM or email me with your contact email if you're interested in the Excel working copy of this file. 
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 09:50:01 AM »
IMHO, the answer to this question starts with what does it cost you to process a screen?  In this case the second screen would use the same art / film as the first so you would be looking at a list of expenses for the second screen that include; Coating, Exposing, Tape & Block out, Set-up on Press, then Cleaning the Screen, Squeegee, and Flood bar, and Reclaiming the screen after the print run. 

I don't know your business, but typical costs for a second screen without film would range from around $10.00 at the low end, up to $15.00 at the high end.   Once you have this number the math is fairly simple; "Is a $12.00 investment in a second screen going to save you more time and produce a better print than PFP with a single screen?"  Another way of looking at it is the additional cost per print for the second screen.  Example $12.00 screen expense divided by 24 shirts = $0.50 per shirt

The attached image is a screen shot of a simple production cost calculator that I developed to try and identify screen-print production costs.  Please feel free to PM or email me with your contact email if you're interested in the Excel working copy of this file.

Wow, awesome advice.  Thanks for sharing. 
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 12:49:53 PM »
@ ~50 pieces for us too.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 02:51:56 PM »
I will use two screens after about 100 but I have run one screen with 250 shirt orders.  On my press it really doesn't take that much longer to run just one screen for white.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 04:33:46 PM »
150ish for us.  Its not a hard line.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »
72 is our decision point.  Depends a lot on fine detail in image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 05:42:49 PM »
For me the number is low.  The caveat is that I would put Russel Grey on a 230 in the first station, flash it and do the white on a 196 or higher.  This gives you a bright white and a great hand as there is very little ink on the shirt.  Also grey is a different color so it helps registration.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »
Ours is about 50pcs. also. It will vary depending on several factors though. Typically we will run discharge though.

How feasible is it for you to order ink from your neighbor(Australia) down there? Is shipping killer? I know if a distributer there that would be able to offer a wider range of discharge options for you.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 07:52:49 PM »
Ours is about 50pcs. also. It will vary depending on several factors though. Typically we will run discharge though.

How feasible is it for you to order ink from your neighbor(Australia) down there? Is shipping killer? I know if a distributer there that would be able to offer a wider range of discharge options for you.
As a matter of fact there is a CCI distributer in Australia. I bet they would ship to NZ.