Author Topic: Mixing Red and Yellow  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Ryan

Mixing Red and Yellow
« on: July 14, 2014, 06:21:54 PM »
Anyone got advice on a red and yellow to use to better replicate the color in this design? I want to keep the Red a nice bright red, but so far I've used 185c and 1797c (have them on the shelf) and Pantone Yellow C. Anything I should try?
thanks
~Ryan

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Mixing Red and Yellow
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 06:30:38 PM »
What color are you trying to achieve?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 06:32:21 PM »
the skin color. I'm not real far off, but I feel like if I use a less vibrant red to achieve the skin tone, then the parts that are actually red will be blah!!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
Ah....

Are your flesh tones looking sunburt then?  You may want to go back in and re-sep the image to have less red printing in those areas.

Conversely, a quick fix "might" be to reduce the opacity of your red - add a clear ink of choice.  You would need to play to find the correct amount to base it back by.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 06:36:27 PM »
this was my first set of colors I tried (185c and Pantone Yellow c). Again because I had these on the shelf and didn't need to mix anything. More yellowy in the bottom and more Red in the top, still need to tweek some things but wasn't sure if anyone had a go to red/yellow combo to get closer to the skin tone.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:55:48 PM »
First off, It's looking really good!

Second, look at your screens versus your films.  Are you spraying out every dot?  If so, go back and double check your flesh tone seps.  Looks like something is off (values in the head versus the body for balance) once the dots are printed.

Again, looks good!  The colors you picked are great.

From a technical standpoint, the farther apart the colors are in value/contrast/color wheel (whatever it is really called)  the more obvious the attempts at color blending will be.  If you pick a gold color and a yellower red, the dots will visually blend together more.  A strong red to a strong yellow blend will show discrepancies more readily.

Hope my ramblings make sense :)

Otherwise, I pick a flesh tone to put in :D

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 12:33:31 PM »
yeah, to me that would have been easier to pick your spot colors and blend them from there.

that being said, that looks pretty dang good.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 12:44:48 PM »
I second Brad, that looks very very good you might can use a golden yellow, but shoot I'd leave that alone and go for it nice print!
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Different

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 01:15:25 PM »
Really good work.  If you have room split the red and replace the blending red with a magenta/rubine to get a better blend in the skin.

Different
www.mitchdifferent.com
www.mitchdifferent.blogspot.com
www.DifferentCreative.com
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts.   -Shakespeare

Offline Grumpy Ole Artist

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 02:10:27 PM »
Learned many, many  moons ago that the standard comic book/Roy Lichtenstein red/Yellow fleshtone percentages are 40% Yellow dots , and 20 or 30% Magenta dots, (against White bkgd)(just figured I would throw that out there!) ....it IS looking pretty cool though!
Humor is the unexpected juxtaposition of incongruities.