Author Topic: WB/Discharge Mixing System  (Read 6286 times)

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
Re: WB/Discharge Mixing System
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 09:13:21 PM »
So I just realized we kind of side stepped your original question/goal which I think would be a good resource. So for companies or options you had-

So far on the list there is:
-Matsui RC / Neo
-CCI CMS
-Rutland WB-99

-Wilflex
-Union(although from what I understand there is no mixing software)
-Virus
-Magna
-Sericol
-Permaset(I believe no DC or mixing software)
-Amex(coming to the states)
-Green Galaxy(currently a few RFU's and base, mixing software and pigments on their way)
-Simplex(SP?) Pigment system and mixing software on its way from my understanding
-Speedball

I feel like I'm in the cereal aisle.   :o

I ordered a Magna starter kit today to test out. Nazdar is running a special with 4oz of each pigment and a gallon of any base for under $100 which I couldn't pass up.  I'd also like to try out one or two other systems before making the decision and I think right now CCI and Rutland are leading the charge.  Does anyone know where I can find a starter kit similar to the Magna one for either of those systems?  I found a 8oz CCI kit w/ a gallon of D-Base for $300, but not much else.  If I can't find something like the Magna kit, I guess I could just order a quart of a premixed color from each brand and test those.

I've been impressed with the CCI discharge inks I've had a chance to test out, but haven't had a chance to use their WB inks or anything from Rutland.  From what I've gathered here, both are great systems, and I'll probably give them both a shot before pulling the trigger, including the hybrid mixes mentioned in this thread.

Thanks for all the help.  Any and all comments are still appreciated, and I'll keep the thread updated with my own findings & tests.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 09:18:35 PM »
I know Rutland has a starter kit, but it runs $500+ which sucks for testing purposes!  Pretty sure Virus has one also. Really it is a great idea for a company to make one at day the $300 or under mark. Even if distributors made their own kits and poured down to small 4oz. bottles of pigment I would think they would probably sell very well!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 09:41:27 PM »
I know Rutland has a starter kit, but it runs $500+ which sucks for testing purposes!  Pretty sure Virus has one also. Really it is a great idea for a company to make one at day the $300 or under mark. Even if distributors made their own kits and poured down to small 4oz. bottles of pigment I would think they would probably sell very well!

Agreed.  Does the Rutland kit come with 16oz pigs and 5ers of base?

I just spoke with my local CCI rep and he's getting me the 8oz kit I mentioned above for $150.  Beyond that I guess I'll try to get some Rutland samples or order a quart or two of premixed inks to play with. Definitely not dropping 5 bills to test it out.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 11:29:16 PM »
I dig the CCI system, get some of the Retarder too. I like the mixing system but most of the time I make some mods to what it gives me though. Just did PMS 165 the other day & it was a nice bright 165 & after a few washes its still a nice bright 165.

I hear nothing but good things about the Rutland & Magna lines but CCI is my quickest ship. I have been trying to get ahold of a sample kit of Union ( Pavonine ) from my distributer, but he keeps dropping the ball, I hear good things about it though.

Offline SeƱorPepperHead

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 11:29:56 AM »
Sericol is our favorite so far. pop the lid go... If you need to discharge, add some agent. Pigs were too messy and a general PITA. CCI is too hard for us to get way out here in NY....
I will have CCI products made available in the northeast/southeast very soon. Just let me know what you would like to see and quantities and I will get this handled for you and others as well.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 08:43:46 PM »
Another brand you can add to the list is Jantex. Never used them and don't know much about them, but the name popped into my head today, figured I'd add it to the list!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 09:22:20 PM »
Another brand you can add to the list is Jantex. Never used them and don't know much about them, but the name popped into my head today, figured I'd add it to the list!

I haven't heard much about them either, but I really can't wait to get to a show soon to see all of these inks in one place.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 06:46:57 AM »
You won't. Many of these companies do not exhibit at SP trade shows. And you may not necessarily see demos just results which may be misleading.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 07:46:05 AM »
You won't. Many of these companies do not exhibit at SP trade shows. And you may not necessarily see demos just results which may be misleading.

Well that's lame.  I was just going off what I saw on the Jantex website. 

In regards to demos, I'm happy to do my own if they supply the samples.   8)
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 11:18:07 AM »
QCM had a PC system for a short while before they were bought by Rutland, it was all Jantex PC's and additives. It worked just fine, but as per the norm, their recipe generator was really hit and miss. The recipe for red, even with "boost" or "ultra boost" came out as a sickly flesh colour and needed 3-4 times the pigment called for to get to be a true red.

I use Image technologies D/C white. It was runny as hell, but we liked it more than squeegee climbing whites.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:09:46 PM by Inkworks »
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 11:35:59 AM »
As of this writing the Rutland white plus is the whitest. My opinion but based on real time production testing and even a competitors rep admitted it was better than their own.

Offline Matsui (PVC Free Inks)

• Verified/Junior
  • "Leaders in PVC Free Inks"
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 07:07:18 PM »
Matsui RC Neo is the new and improved mixing system.

Rutland has great formulations and their pigments work great with our bases too.

The bases included in the Matsui line are:

-Clear 301C (High mesh transparent base)
-Matte 301M (High mesh semi-opaque base)
-White 301W (High mesh mixing white base and underbase)
-Stretch Clear 301C (High elasticity transparent base)
-Stretch Matte 301M (High elasticity transparent base)
-Stretch White 301-5 (High elasticity mixing white and underbase)
-HM Discharge Base (High Mesh Discharge base)
-Bright Discharge Base (Semi Opaque Discharge Base for bright colors)

Sample kits available for $189.99.

Other systems to name a few are as follows:

Magna
Virus
Jantex
Sericol
etc...
Jesse Martinez
Matsui International Company, Inc.
www.matsui-color.com