Author Topic: Raster to Vector vendors?  (Read 2537 times)

Offline alsusart

Re: Raster to Vector vendors?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 12:01:37 PM »
Or you can try http://www.vectorizeimages.com :) Vector conversion  start  from 9$ here.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 01:03:24 PM »
These folks just contacted me yesterday. I don't know a thing about them except that they have a California phone number.

http://www.moondigitizing.com/VAS/
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 11:57:14 AM »
24hr artwork got back with a quote of 65 for one and 52 for the second, not quite the $32 per their examples were promising.

I ended up tracing them by hand and scanning them in and vectoring/filling them in, in Corel. Took a couple of hours, but looks fine.
The old artist at our shop had done it that way so many times I'm sure he could have done it much faster and better than I did.

So in the end, I didn't find any value in the offerings. It's either: do it myself vectorize, do it myself quick and dirty seps, or dollar for dollar value if sending it out, having someone like MySeps make a 3 color sep and calling it a day.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 12:47:14 PM »
24hr artwork got back with a quote of 65 for one and 52 for the second, not quite the $32 per their examples were promising.

I ended up tracing them by hand and scanning them in and vectoring/filling them in, in Corel. Took a couple of hours, but looks fine.
The old artist at our shop had done it that way so many times I'm sure he could have done it much faster and better than I did.

So in the end, I didn't find any value in the offerings. It's either: do it myself vectorize, do it myself quick and dirty seps, or dollar for dollar value if sending it out, having someone like MySeps make a 3 color sep and calling it a day.

So you do not think your time could have been more productive out selling?....

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 01:06:49 PM »

So you do not think your time could have been more productive out selling?....

well, possibly, but -
in the same way that i don't measure "labor time to make a screen" (because I don't send the labor home with no pay when that's done, they give me 40 per week) - my time could be better spent selling potentially ALWAYS, but i do need to spend the necessary operational time no matter what as well. (would those 2 hours have been used as pure "trying to sell" time if I paid someone else? not necessarily).

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 03:00:24 PM »
Not sure I totally understand your reply....My point is many small shops spend too much time "doing the work" (or waiting for work) rather than "growing the work"...Maybe it seemed like good value for your time, however, if did marketing and gained just 1 client, what is that client worth over the lifetime of your business?...A bigger "book of business" is a valuable asset....

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 03:06:56 PM »

I would go pretty much the same route, except I'd scan the original, and do the drawing in Illustrator then add the fills. 6 of one, half dozen of another I suppose.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline turnergraphics

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 12:48:06 PM »
I use Frank Kenny.  orders@screenprintingart.com

When we get in a pinch and need some "back up," Frank is always at the ready.  Recommended. 

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 12:55:26 PM »
I use Frank Kenny.  orders@screenprintingart.com

When we get in a pinch and need some "back up," Frank is always at the ready.  Recommended.

I've been generally happy with the few jobs I sent them. Even the one they didn't exactly do what I needed, they promptly re-did it.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?