Author Topic: Nice way to end the day....  (Read 1599 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Nice way to end the day....
« on: July 23, 2014, 06:07:30 PM »
Just as we have the last job for the day up on press, SNAP!

I love these 150LX's but eeeeeeesay does it! What a suck way to end the day >:(

Sorry, I had to vent!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Nice way to end the day....
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 06:47:34 PM »
We went 7 years without busting a screen on press.  I think we've had 2 now since we started which isn't that bad.  I had always heard that it happened but for whatever reason it never happened here until about a year ago we had our 1st one.  It made a mess.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »
We went 7 years without busting a screen on press.  I think we've had 2 now since we started which isn't that bad.  I had always heard that it happened but for whatever reason it never happened here until about a year ago we had our 1st one.  It made a mess.
Are you serious!!!!!????? Do you also walk on water often at your place? :D

Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:53:47 PM »

WOW.  We bust 1-2 a year, and always with only 12 or so left in the job.

Chris

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:29:45 PM »
I use to bust(s-threads) one every fortnight because I was over tension them. After I convinced myself to leave them below 24 or 25N(s-threads), I have not busted any.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 08:41:02 AM »
I use to bust(s-threads) one every fortnight because I was over tension them. After I convinced myself to leave them below 24 or 25N(s-threads), I have not busted any.

I agree, I tensioned 5 150/48 the other day to 28 newtons, taped them, set them in the rack and lost 3 before I ever degreased them.  It sounded like I was popping popcorn in the shop.  I'll stick to the 24 newtons from now on when it comes to smart mesh.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 10:09:45 AM »
The fun part when this happens is when a half gallon of ink goes down shirt after shirt before you see it (you don't always hear it). It happens a few times a year maybe, after a while, you stop pondering it and move onward.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline starchild

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 10:42:37 AM »

I agree, I tensioned 5 150/48 the other day to 28 newtons, taped them, set them in the rack and lost 3 before I ever degreased them.  It sounded like I was popping popcorn in the shop.  I'll stick to the 24 newtons from now on when it comes to smart mesh.

What does the tension in the higher ranges do for the print/press performance.. What compels us to do this like a moth to a Zapper?  I appreciate that regular thread mesh goes extremely high just to get it balanced but s mesh does not have to stretch and strain as much to get to the same place. Also static tension and dynamic-print tension are two different utilities altogether.. One deals with mesh performance the other is for on press performance and is set by offcontact and not the stretcher.. But we bring the mesh to higher range tension with the intent to realize both utilities..

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 11:12:48 AM »
I've only busted two screens on press in 7 years myself one was tension very high and popped on it's own and the other I drop a flood bar.  I agree high tension screens you have to be a little more careful with and off contact lower, but for me I don't worry about high tension screens mine are 24 and below LOL every time I get one around 30n I can't get it to the coating room before it pop's.

darryl
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:12:10 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 11:36:46 AM »

What does the tension in the higher ranges do for the print/press performance.. What compels us to do this like a moth to a Zapper?  I appreciate that regular thread mesh goes extremely high just to get it balanced but s mesh does not have to stretch and strain as much to get to the same place. Also static tension and dynamic-print tension are two different utilities altogether.. One deals with mesh performance the other is for on press performance and is set by offcontact and not the stretcher.. But we bring the mesh to higher range tension with the intent to realize both utilities..

I'm starting to wonder if there is really a need for roller frames if you are using s mesh because it doesn't need such a high tension to perform well.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 12:11:12 PM »

I'm starting to wonder if there is really a need for roller frames if you are using s mesh because it doesn't need such a high tension to perform well.

Depends on how obsessive you are about controlling your screens.  I could work with S thread statics but I'd rather have roller frames and be able to keep them all at 25 newtons.  I think S thread statics are a great option for those who can't/won't/don't feel like using roller frames but they won't perform quite as well as the roller frame screen but it's not that far off. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 12:17:31 PM »

Depends on how obsessive you are about controlling your screens.  I could work with S thread statics but I'd rather have roller frames and be able to keep them all at 25 newtons.  I think S thread statics are a great option for those who can't/won't/don't feel like using roller frames but they won't perform quite as well as the roller frame screen but it's not that far off.

Why won't they?  are you saying a 25n static won't work as well as a 25n roller or you saying the static will lose tension where as you can jack the roller back up.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 12:43:27 PM »
The latter. The statics maintain a good working tension don't get me wrong, but the roller benefits are still present.

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 04:06:12 PM »
A couple of tricks on Newmans with Murakami S Mesh.  Put a layer of masking tape on the inside edge of the channels, the one towards the center of the screen.  This can help soften the super sharp edges Newman puts on the channel and helps with the mesh flexing along this area.  I also like to have the channel outward from top dead center so the mesh flexes on the round tube rather than when channels are straight up where the mesh flexes on the sharp inside edge.  Also I like to drop the tension on the narrow dimension across the screen by 1-2 newtons to better absorb the high momentary tension during print from the squeegee edge to the frame.  Rounding squeegee ends also is a good idea.  The smoother they are the less they pull on the mesh and carve lines in your emulsion and eventually down to the mesh.  Re-tensioning is a great tool, Newmans do offer good tension control.  With WB and discharge as long as statics are above 17 there is little print difference between 17 and 24.  I have moved many companies to statics, both are great to print with.  My show shirts are printed on statics and reused for years and still hold register. For plastisol sim process and especially large spot color areas over a base I like higher tensions in the 30-35n range using T and HD meshes to get better peel from the print to keep previous colors in the sequence strong.  One thing many don't realize is Murakami textures the mesh with a plasma treatment on mesh above 280 tpi.  The minor thread texture holds on to a miniscule amount of ink to allow ink to pass through halftone and fine line work easier, and with less squeegee pressure.

Al
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com