Author Topic: Layered psd help  (Read 2080 times)

Offline ApeShirt

Layered psd help
« on: July 24, 2014, 11:09:05 AM »
Hi gang,
Just found out about this forum. Anyway, I have a couple questions. I had a customer send me a psd file. It has 8 layers, some cmyk and some RGB. I know the print can be done with probably 3 colors. Plus some of the white isn't power clipped into the design. Can someone(s) walk me through how to solve this issue in CorelDRAW X5? I'm thinking it needs to be converted to spot colors along with reducing the amount of layers.  I apologize for my ignorance but I'm no graphic pro. I'm willing to do a phone call if it helps.
Attached is a jpg of the file the sent me (on a colored background I added to show the white) and what the logo is supposed to look like. I believe this can be done with a white under base, pink, and black half toned at different percentages.
Thank you for any help.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Layered psd help
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 02:22:12 PM »
you need to check out http://www.advancedartist.com/

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:30:18 PM »
Since you mentioned it was sent as a .psd, why not just do Sim process in 3 colors (halftone) using PS?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 11:02:48 PM »
might not have PS, in which case it's pretty easy to sep in corel as well. 

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 11:07:26 PM »
yea, you could probably output as as eps or pdf and import to corel.  I would probably be doing it in PS.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ApeShirt

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 02:11:48 PM »
I'll try exporting it and see what happens. How do I bring it down to a 3-color, which is what I thought it can be done in? It has 8 layers in the psd. Also, some of the white is outside the logo which is not supposed to be the case. I've only printed simple spot colors and little halftones up to this point. And no, I don't have PS. I have Corel PhotoPaint though.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 02:37:05 PM »
layers and color counts very rarely have anything to do with eachother.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 10:41:56 PM »
You can try this.

Make sure all the layers are in the window, Shift+Ctrl+E to 'Merge Visible' into one Background Layer, save off as .eps and import to Corel

Ungroup All and try a trace