Author Topic: OSHA Training / Signage  (Read 5391 times)

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
OSHA Training / Signage
« on: August 19, 2014, 09:35:22 AM »
This is somewhat broad, but we as a company are about to implement safety programs/training/signage in an attempt to prepare ourselves for a possible OSHA appearance. We've been here six years without a visit, but I know that one day they will show up. With all of our equipment and now a forklift, welding equipment, and large oven, I am thinking it's time to be proactive here.

So, does anyone know of OSHA specific signage or training that we should be doing here for the screen printing side of things? I am currently studying and researching their website, but there is so much on there I am getting lost in the mass of material.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: OSHA Training / Signage
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:50:44 AM »
SGIA has a class coming up in the next few months.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 09:51:54 AM »
I penned a compliance article ys ago for PW but it is sadly gone probably forever. Based on compliance visits from Disney and OSHA. Heres what most don't know. You can call ask them to come out. These are referred to as "the White Hats". They are far more lenient and quite cooperative and can put you in touch with a real person that is regional that can answer questions and point you to resources. Be sure to have an evac plan for emergencies, sharps containers for razors and needles, lockout/tagout system, fire extinguishers charged, and careful with extension cords. They don't like them. Much much more but again they are there to help. Unjless there are gross violations they will usually waive fines and give you 30 days to comply. Ask them in advance what you need before they visit. Can't hurt.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 02:29:57 PM »
Unless you are certain size you are not under them just state stuff for that. I have been doing this 15 years and nobody has showed up ever. 6 people working here.
That is my understanding.
Shane

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 02:36:01 PM »
We hover between 8-10 people for the most part. I'm wondering at what point they start eyeing folks. The reason I'm more concerned about it though is that we are opening a new division doing metal fabrication, powder coating, and media blasting which will give them another reason to hit us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cclaud3

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 04:03:20 PM »
Tance,

I managed a small offset printing shop that also did signage in Louisiana. Employees ranged from 2-5 and they checked into us, supposedly a random visit. The owner already had the MSDS binder but had to modify it. I believed it was a basic "employees rights" type of thing that you print from their site but we had to include MSDS info on all chemicals, inks, etc that we used. Had to install a basic saline eyewash station & put up the official OSHA poster that OSHA gave us on the first visit. They came back sometime later to make sure everything was done properly. The OSHA employees asked each one of us if we were familiar with the OSHA stuff and if the owner gave us a run-through of how to do things according to the OSHA guidelines. Happened about 7 years ago and was the only visit that I'm aware of.

So to sum up our experience, it was the MSDS binder that was as thorough as possible, the eyewash station, and a general review of safety from the owner.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:18:54 PM by cclaud3 »

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 05:17:34 PM »
Tance,

I managed a small offset printing shop that also did signage in Louisiana. Employees ranged from 2-5 and they checked into us, supposedly a random visit. The owner already had the MSDS binder but had to modify it. I believed it was a basic "employees rights" type of thing that you print from their site but we had to include MSDS info on all chemicals, inks, etc that we used. Had to install a basic saline eyewash station & put up the official OSHA poster that OSHA gave us on the first visit. They came back sometime later to make sure everything was done properly. The OSHA employees asked each one of us if we were familiar with the OSHA stuff and if the owner gave us a run-through of how to do things according to the OSHA guidelines. Happened about 7 years ago and was the only visit that I'm aware of.

So to sum up our experience, it was the MSDS binder that was as thorough as possible, the eyewash station, and a general review of safety from the owner.

Thanks, that helps alot. I've been printing MSDS sheets today and still have many many more to do, but we are attempting to find everything. We are posting evacuation plans, exit signs, OSHA posters, etc. as we get them. I will be looking for the eye wash station soon as that is something we don't have.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 07:14:41 PM »
as far as training, you need to be certified to run the forklift.

If you have a compressor, you need a pressure vessel certificate (depends on state)

having all of the proper safety gear for the task at hand.

We provide hearing testing and measure it yearly for those who work around the reclaim area due it being loud.

all of your chemicals not in their original containers need the MSDS labels as well as your 'right to know' MSDS center with every single thing you use, or have used in the last 30 years in there.

so  much more really, like said you can have them come out and eval you. They really are cool about it.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services