Author Topic: MHM, S-Roque or M&R?  (Read 32693 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: MHM, S-Roque or M&R?
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2014, 12:18:46 PM »
If you are considering the MHM vs S.Roque, like Ryan said look at the ECO(S.Roque) vs. the S-Type(MHM).

If you already have a DB and are thinking about a GT3 that will be the cheaper route. And if you are at all considering a DTS system, it pretty much cancels out the main advantages of the S.Roque and MHM FPU/PRU reg systems. I personally really like the M&R STE-II but a huge drawback I learned recently is M&R will NOT modify their DTS systems to work with MHM or S.Roque reg systems... Other companies will but I feel M&R makes the best unit.

When I was looking, I had a very poor experience and feeling from Hirsch. There were many of my questions went unanswered. I would probably still be more than happy with a MHM on my floor, but I had a better feeling with the S.Roque and I have zero regret every time I look or use our ECO.

S.Roque has a unique way of making basic design and engineering do amazing things with incredible reliability.

I was fortunate enough to help the head technician from Portugal set up the ECO with a flocker and foiler at ISS Long Beach last year. It was a incredible learning experience! It also re assured me I made the right decision.
Small story here- All the pneumatic air components on the S.Roque are all SMC brand(there was talk of them bringing that in house since the have the ability and it would cut costs, while still being 100% replaceable with SMC components). We had the ECO at the show all set up and just needed to hook up the flocker, well in shipping or the hustle and bustle of pre show set up 2 of the air connectors and 1 valve broke. At this point it is 3pm on Thursday, so we high tail it over to Grainger(which just so happens to be the smallest Grainger I have ever been in) we were able to over engineer the parts we needed but I wanted to try to find the exact ones. I looked up and called the area manager for SMC(4:30 at this time) gave her the part number and she called me back in 15min with 134 of the parts we needed that were within 1hr. from us. She could get them that evening if she called in some favors, but otherwise see would meet I us at the convention center at 7:20am with the parts.

While that for the most part a story about great costumer service from SMC, it is also about how great it is to have parts available locally if you have the need. Going on 2 years for us and all I have needed is extra cans if spray lube. And yes both cans were for the press! ;D
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2014, 12:23:51 PM »
On a side note on set up times.  Any press that introduces spinning a platen to each head to initially register the print will be slower than the MHM as that steps DOES NOT exist.  Live long and prosper.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2014, 12:38:30 PM »
To me the MHM machines are great presses from what I have seen in person and heard.  It's a crying shame they are represented by Hirsch. 

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 12:38:58 PM »
TCT: Thank you for your input. Do you find any deficiencies in the registration system? It's hard to overlook how nice the MHM system is.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »
I have a MHM e-type. Let me talk about the registration system. I have never zeroed out my press. I know your suppose to and it works better if you do. Well this is the truth that I have found. Once you register a job the heads that you registered are now all in the same position compared to the FPU. So even if the heads are not zeroed out the next job you put on those heads will register. That is if you line up the film correctly. On all presses you have some variables in registration. Screen mesh can pull a little when printing a thick ink, mesh tensions will effect the screen mesh pull, and then just not positioning the film correctly. Out of all the jobs I have printed I have not had a job out more then a few hairs when the job is set up on heads that I have used before. Zeroing out would help with some of the mistakes that happen but for me its not a big deal. I am not going to say registration times but I have never got frustrated trying to register a job. Many times its just a slight twist here and there. I have more jobs that I don't have to do any microing on then ones that need it. Now the MHM system of micros is much easier to use then the rest that I have seen. You just turn the micro, no lock downs. This makes it very easy to be a perfectionist. It also makes it so you can adjust on the fly. No stopping the press to tweak the print here and there. Having this system you will make more fine tuning then you ever would on the other systems.

For my press the Micros and Plate adjustments system and FPU make the press. These are all items not found on any other press. The SRough does have similar items but after seeing the Ryonet one, MHM does it better IMO.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:10:26 PM by Jon »

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2014, 03:37:22 PM »
TCT: Thank you for your input. Do you find any deficiencies in the registration system? It's hard to overlook how nice the MHM system is.
I know Ryan here has had issues with his press getting "zeroed" correctly, but I can't say I have. That is one of my favorite things, before when someone new started I would chalk up close to a month for them to learn to set jobs up. Now on their third day multi color jobs are no big deal!
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2014, 03:48:30 PM »
1964GN- where are you located? There YOU's all over the country now, chances are you could probably check one out in a running environment. If you are ever up around MN fell free to let me know and you can check out mine!
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »
CTS not working with the MHM pin system may be as simple as making adapters to hold the screen as the press does or making a master 25x33 frame that a frame with pins would snap into then set the whole thing into the CTS.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2014, 03:57:28 PM »
CTS not working with the MHM pin system may be as simple as making adapters to hold the screen as the press does or making a master 25x33 frame that a frame with pins would snap into then set the whole thing into the CTS.

the only thing that needs to be done is holes have to be drilled in the holder. M&R even provides a thicker plate for those units. 'not really a big deal. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 07:07:34 AM »
1964GN- where are you located? There YOU's all over the country now, chances are you could probably check one out in a running environment. If you are ever up around MN fell free to let me know and you can check out mine!

Florida... Ah, Minnesota is my home state but I don't expect to be up there anytime this year. The owner hunts in WI so that may be an option. Where in MN are you? Are you open to phone call this week... just to pick your brain a bit? PM me your number if you are, if not I completely understand.

I suspect we'll be making a decision sooner rather than later.

Not to complicate matters but does anyone have an option on the RPM revolution? A 14 color is doable and the side clamps are attractive given that we do a lot of namedrops for a very large customer. The ability to load a screen with namedrops and move the screen back for each one is just one of the reasons many we are keeping the DB.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2014, 09:20:18 AM »
I'm in Saint Paul, so technically 15 min from WI.... Sqslabs on the boards here is in FL and getting a RPM delivered soon! I'll pm you my contact info along with the password to actually get me on the phone :D
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2014, 09:37:25 AM »
The password is "I want to talk to him about sroque"   :-p

Rpm is nice, if Alan ever comes back from his vacation he will gladly tell you how much he loves his.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 10:12:02 AM »
Not to complicate matters but does anyone have an option on the RPM revolution? A 14 color is doable and the side clamps are attractive given that we do a lot of namedrops for a very large customer. The ability to load a screen with namedrops and move the screen back for each one is just one of the reasons many we are keeping the DB.

I'm also in Florida (Fort Lauderdale), and have a 12 color Revolution being delivered in mid-October.  I'm guessing you'll likely be making your decision before then, but if not, you're more than welcome to swing by and get a tour of it. 

Here's a writeup I did on why I chose that press:

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,12121.msg114484.html

In regards to the other presses you are looking at, they're all great and with that list you'll likely have an even tougher decision than I did. The good news is since they're all great machines, you really can't go wrong regardless of what direction you decide to go in.  For me, it was about scrutinizing every press on my list and figuring out which one was the best fit for my shop.  Sounds like you're doing the same.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 10:44:40 AM »
Dude, that was a great write up. Your entire scenario sounds eerily familiar.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 01:32:23 PM »
Dude, that was a great write up. Your entire scenario sounds eerily familiar.

Thanks man, hope it answered some of your questions on the machine.  Be sure to let me know if you have any others. 

I forgot to mention it earlier, but there is a shop in Orlando with a Revolution.  Rick at RPM can likely set up a tour of it if you wanted to check it out in person.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL