Author Topic: SPOT GUNs...WTF?  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Mr Tees!!

SPOT GUNs...WTF?
« on: August 24, 2011, 06:14:10 PM »
OK everybody, do me a big favor...go to your spot gun and unscrew the fluid cup...touch the plastic tube that draws the fluid up. Is it STICKY? Like its being dissolved?

I have gone through THREE spot guns this summer, with the last one just petering out(which I just got in June).I just noticed the sticky/softened tube, so now I am suspicious that i got some effed up fluid, but I dont wanna call out any companies here. YET. If yours is like that, I guess PM me with the brand of gun and fluid. Somebodys gonna get the the riot act here when I figure this out.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: SPOT GUNs...WTF?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 10:18:09 AM »
Umm, what brand fluid are you using?  The cup on mine got welded together.  Thinking about it, I might know the culprit.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 10:55:10 AM »
...Brad, its American Niagara Triple Blend, I know they are out of Atlanta area somewhere. Im suspicious of the fluid because now that I think about it, all this started happening right around the time I stocked up on this fluid (they were running a sale)...

...whatcha think?
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 11:13:58 AM »
The same company probably sells spots guns also, be my guess.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 11:19:27 AM »
I would think though that the feed tube is polyethylene which should be pretty darn impervious to pretty much anything we would put in there.

Have to say though that I've never used the stuff you mention.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 11:27:29 AM »
I've never had a problem at all with triple blend.  I've used it for years.  I just switched to Spot Buster from Xenon when my gun got glued together.

I am wondering if the manufacturers had to switch chems in them due to environmental concerns.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 12:56:49 PM »
NOW the damn thing is working again! Still, I dont think the plastic should be gettin gooey. Its one of the Expert sp100 guns that all the distributors sell sells for around 100 bucks. I wonder if they changed some of the parts on the gun, like maybe a cheaper tube?

Now I dont know wheter to buy new fluid or a new gun. Do any of you use a higher-end gun than this one? Maybe with more metal parts or something?

Crap, ANOTHER thought: could it be the heat back in the shop? Again, this only started happening in the summer, and I did get over 100 degrees back there yesterday. Maybe now that its cooled off its working again? I dont remember havin this problem befor though. Sheesh, I dunno.

Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »
NOW the damn thing is working again! Still, I dont think the plastic should be gettin gooey. Its one of the Expert sp100 guns that all the distributors sell sells for around 100 bucks. I wonder if they changed some of the parts on the gun, like maybe a cheaper tube?

Now I dont know wheter to buy new fluid or a new gun. Do any of you use a higher-end gun than this one? Maybe with more metal parts or something?

Crap, ANOTHER thought: could it be the heat back in the shop? Again, this only started happening in the summer, and I did get over 100 degrees back there yesterday. Maybe now that its cooled off its working again? I dont remember havin this problem befor though. Sheesh, I dunno.

how often do you grease your gun? We had a similar problem and found out that it is supposed to be lubricated once a week!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 02:07:37 PM »

how often do you grease your gun? We had a similar problem and found out that it is supposed to be lubricated once a week!

pierre

??    I was under the impression that the correct fluid contained the necessary lubricants?

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 02:50:08 PM »
...do WHAT? Mine does have a litttle hole in the top labeled "oil-filled hole", but looking at the little pamphlet/instruction booklet says nothing about lubricating it.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 02:51:48 PM »
I've never heard about greasing the gun (sounds like slang for something nasty)

And, yes, I have also heard that using incorrect fluids can lead to premature death of some wear parts like pisons and nozzles.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 03:30:05 PM »
I've had one go dead and after sparying some WD 40 in the little oil hole it started working again.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »
I lube ours every time I remember it has a hole for it.'

I grease my gun just about daily.

Ours is a ZIM gun, it freaking rocks, there is no nozzle that busts.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 03:44:52 PM »
...lube it how, and with what?
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 03:45:36 PM »
use a light oil, like a 3 in 1 or even an embroidery machine oil