Author Topic: Dryer options ... MD8 vs MiniSprint  (Read 2880 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Dryer options ... MD8 vs MiniSprint
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »
I saw an MD-8 a few years ago after it was installed and it was a few weeks after we got our Sprint International and comparing the MD-8 to the International is not fair, but a mini-sprint would be a better comparison.  I haven't spent much time around the Mini but if it's got even half of what the International we have then I would say the Mini is the superior dryer, by a decent enough margin.  Now if the Mini doesn't incorporate a lot of what the Sprint and Sprint International have then it's a different discussion.

And if you're going to run 2 autos on it, I wouldn't do a 48".  60" all the way and put each press on the each side of the dryer and run.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 12:00:22 PM »

Side question... does anybody know if you can vent these somewhat horizontally out a side wall? or do they have to go vertical through the roof.  One landlord is sketchy about 'roof penetrations' but is ok with sidewall penetration as long as it's done to code.

My set-up is a lot smaller, but here's how it vents. I'm sure that you could do an approved version similar to this.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 12:20:54 PM »
I saw an MD-8 a few years ago after it was installed and it was a few weeks after we got our Sprint International and comparing the MD-8 to the International is not fair, but a mini-sprint would be a better comparison.  I haven't spent much time around the Mini but if it's got even half of what the International we have then I would say the Mini is the superior dryer, by a decent enough margin.  Now if the Mini doesn't incorporate a lot of what the Sprint and Sprint International have then it's a different discussion.

And if you're going to run 2 autos on it, I wouldn't do a 48".  60" all the way and put each press on the each side of the dryer and run.
The Mini- Sprint is exactly like the Sprint 2000.
Rich Hoffman

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 12:26:01 PM »
I don't know about the MD, after seeing how Pierre had to wrap his Interchange like a Klondike Bar in order to reach a decent insulation rating, I'd keep my eyes on the Sprints brother!!!! I do know that M&R will send out a meter so that folks using other brands can see what they are actually burning in gas vs what the Sprints burn. I don't think I've ever met an unhappy Sprint owner and from what I understand they are about to launch a whole new version with updated features, that I would assume add even more efficiency. I think, when looking at the price tag of a dryer, you should also look at it's actual production rate and gas consumption. If a dryer costs a few more grand than the other and you have that dryer for 10+ years, the added cost of an old outdated banger or a lesser price tag'd model that's not as efficient will out weigh that initial price tag. Just the way I see it, but I've spoke to more than one shop that wish they would have pony'd up a couple more grand for a Sprint.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 03:28:22 PM »
There's no comparison between a Sprint and an MD 8, maybe an air jet.   The only reason to look at an md8 is price but a used sprint would whoop that dryer for the same cost.

There are design features of the air jet that I prefer over the Sprint but if you go with a Sprint HO they cancel out mostly.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 03:30:10 PM »
Oh and get 16 feet of chamber min 8 in and out. One thing in would get if going new is a few feet of cool down chambers. The sprint is very well insulated but all the garments throw off major heat as they cool on exit.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 09:16:05 PM »
That belt alone is too hot to touch!

I was very surprised by that when I was at Alans.  The hemmed part of my belt gets too hot to touch if you let your fingers slide on it, but my belt is fine to let your fingers slide on it.  The Sprint's belt was as hot as my belts hem!  Maybe a second you could let your finger glide on the belt.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 02:55:22 PM »
I think 6-8' of cool down that recycles the heat back into the chamber would be ideal for the high output gas dryers.