Author Topic: Putting together the plan for outfitting my upgraded shop, Opinions welcome!  (Read 3299 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
I'll be getting rid of my Antec Legend 6/4, Chaparral 1224 (12' dryer with 24" belt), PROBABLY my auto base flash (man, that will be hard to let go, I love that thing!), and my MSP 3140 pretty soon.

$5,000 for total package if interested.  I'll also have a bunch of newman MZX with square bars available as well.  This setup has served me well for a few years.

How much would you sell the auto flash for?  I am needing one more and more...

Haha, no worries...  Mostly curious about general pricing. :D

Mimosa, you may have to ask that of Monkey, as he was offered the right of first refusal on the package. :o

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Hmm probably $500 bucks.

Offline Hey Monkey

I'll be getting rid of my Antec Legend 6/4, Chaparral 1224 (12' dryer with 24" belt), PROBABLY my auto base flash (man, that will be hard to let go, I love that thing!), and my MSP 3140 pretty soon.

$5,000 for total package if interested.  I'll also have a bunch of newman MZX with square bars available as well.  This setup has served me well for a few years.

How much would you sell the auto flash for?  I am needing one more and more...

Mimosa, you may have to ask that of Monkey, as he was offered the right of first refusal on the package. :o

Haha no worries! If you are interested and ready to buy by all means make an offer and sell! Thanks for looking out for me though and all the great info so far!

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
I am not looking to be a high volume producer probably would not take more than 500 shirt runs and even that I am not sure about but let's use that as a number.  I know I want to be all manual. I love the work and the total hands-on of hand-pulling the prints.

Sorry to question your plan, but I can't for the life of me think of why anyone would want to stay all manual even if they never saw an order over 500.

Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
I am not looking to be a high volume producer probably would not take more than 500 shirt runs and even that I am not sure about but let's use that as a number.  I know I want to be all manual. I love the work and the total hands-on of hand-pulling the prints.

Sorry to question your plan, but I can't for the life of me think of why anyone would want to stay all manual even if they never saw an order over 500.

Hey, mind your own business, till I sell my manual gear. :p

J/K, I agree, but if you want... mine is available.  It makes money, but it is the "hard" way.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
If you consistently got orders over 100 pcs you would be hatin life on a manual. I put everything over 24 pcs on the auto.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Putting together the plan for outfitting my upgraded shop, Opinions welcome!
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 12:08:50 AM »
If you consistently got orders over 100 pcs you would be hatin life on a manual. I put everything over 24 pcs on the auto.

I won't be having a choice soon!  :)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Putting together the plan for outfitting my upgraded shop, Opinions welcome!
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2014, 12:17:17 AM »
we don't print much at all on the manual.  it's used a couple times a month...maybe.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 02:12:20 AM »

DIY and cheap? Depending on how many pieces you are doing, a clothesline can work. Keep your eye on craigslist and other used sites, sometimes nice drying racks come up cheap. There are probably DIY plans to build something nice out there as well.

Equipment opinions:
Kruzer would be the best if you are looking to transition to auto soon. If you are going to stay all manual, the Vastex V2000, Antec Legend, M&R Sidewinder in either 6/6 or 8/8 configuration

Conveyor dryer, Vastex EC2 is a nice dryer that doesn't take up a lot of space. Keep your eye on the used market and you may be able to find one with forced air. Even if you get a used Black body 18" dryer, get a conveyor dryer asap. If you don't use plastisol and only waterbased, then I wouldn't get anything but a dryer with forced air.

Exposure unit, look for a used MSP3140. They are great machines and a lot of people are upgrading to LED right now.

Flash unit. infrared unit. 18"x18" or 18"x20". Remember you lose a couple of inches around all sides. Get something with temp control and you will appreciate it later.

Newman frames.

If you can spare the time to wait a little, you can do very well on the used market. Gilligans stuff for $5K sounds like a great option for you. And it's at a third of your budget.

Offline Hey Monkey

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 11:53:39 AM »
Haha. Question my plans all you want, it is why I am here! Remember, I am not looking to be a commercial printer. And I have the option of being very selective with what jobs I do with the other revenue streams I have with my space. I want to stay manual. I enjoy it. After 29 years of sitting on my butt at a computer I am looking forward to standing and getting some physical work into my day.

Most likely I am looking at 100 pc jobs here and there. I just said 500 as a number and it would have to be with a few certain parameters for me to take it. Probably 1 or two color jobs at most which is primarily what I do with the types of clients I tend to get. A few of those a month along with some flatstock jobs.

I have until Dec or Jan to get the equipment so I do have time! I will keep a look out for what will work for me. Keep the ideas and opinions coming and I thank you all for your time so much!