Author Topic: Small gas dryers and the real costs.  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Small gas dryers and the real costs.
« on: August 30, 2014, 02:20:08 PM »
Interested to learn more about gas dryers and the real cost associated with them and production rates. I know that Hix makes a small one for about 15k, but don't really find what kind of production numbers you can expect out the small gas dryers. I think M&R has a small one as well in the Heatwave.
So assuming that gas is available in my shop which it is:

What are the approximate plumbing costs for gas dryers? I already have a stub above where the dryer should be.
What other installation costs are there?
What would expected production numbers be for:
Water based discharge and plastisol?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Small gas dryers and the real costs.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 02:23:15 PM »
What about a used Mini Sprint?

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 02:28:15 PM »
I wouldn't mind used but I would like to not have a monster gas dryer for one auto if at all possible. Also I know that the older they are the less efficient they are.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 02:36:52 PM »
Also concerned about length of the dryer. I could maybe squeeze a 20 footer but that would be pushing it.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »
I have a 4-5 year old mini sprint 16 foot total length. I live in western colorado and I spend about $100 a monthon gas way less than electric. Discharge I have done a little, I think with a slower belt speed you would be fine. 244 could better answer. I would do it again. The only thing is the gas pressure regulater is avery specific range that it needs. I would probably add longer hest chamber or longer exit to cool down garment. But I love mine, iwould never go smaller for an auto. But that is me.
 Shane

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 04:31:40 PM »
The mini sprint isn't that big, & will do one auto just fine. I think its the most cost effective dryer out there. It will definitely increase your production on any printing. ( if that's a bottleneck for you now )

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 05:14:37 PM »
Its not a bottleneck at all right now with our current dryer and plastisol but there is no way we could get good numbers with discharge. I just got our electric bill and its $250 and we didn't even run full time really. But my major concern would be being able to cure discharge and that's why im looking at gas. Would like to run at least 300 per hour and not sure if those smaller dryers could do that. also wondering about install costs and maintaining it.

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 05:34:04 PM »
I would say that the mini sprint can do 300 an hour, if your print is 15x17. Smaller prints I would say your looking at around 600. ( that's what I was getting last week ) ( WB/DC )

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 05:34:43 PM »
Cool at least I know it can be done!

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 05:37:49 PM »
Oh & our old sprint 2000 is over ten years old & works like new. ( just keep up with maintenance )

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 05:56:33 PM »
The mini sprint is a beast for its size, heat wave you may be cutting it close to your magic number but I'm sure if you contact M&R they would be able to tell you exactly what you want to know. If you do get any brand you do not want electric bump panels, you won't gain anything as far as savings on utilities.

The dryers come ready to run just connect the gas, electric and exhaust. These three things, shipping, unloading plus the tech cost and expences. I do not know if there are any special provisions needed in the state your in.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 11:36:11 PM »
I setup our Mini ourselves. No tech. If you that close for gas I would say pretty small expense less than 500-1000 for the gas and electric. Depends on how far for electric is from dryer.
Check with a electrician and plumber see price for butt cover.
Shane

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 09:11:49 AM »
I have a Heatwave, and while it got me by for the past five years with a Javelin and a manual, it quickly became apparent that it would become the bottleneck of the operation once my new auto arrived.  It does run discharge and waterbased like a champ though, and that's the main reason I bought it.  One cool feature is that it runs on 110v electric, so you could plug it into any standard outlet.  I can check on our gas costs if you'd like as well, just say the word.

It's a great dryer for the smaller shop looking to run gas, but as it sounds like you are looking to increase production, I'd recommend looking at something bigger (and used) if you have the space.  I recently lucked out and found a used larger gas dryer at a great price, and will be selling the Heatwave sometime in the next couple months.  If I had the space, I'd likely keep it as a secondary unit, but unfortunately don't have the room.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »
What is the ballpark of what a Heatwave costs?

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 09:20:38 PM »
What is the ballpark of what a Heatwave costs?

When I bought mine 4-5 years ago they listed at around 14k.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL