Author Topic: Heat Press Question  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Tag1

Heat Press Question
« on: September 02, 2014, 02:07:48 PM »
Does anyone have experience with the Geo Knight DC16 heat press and/or Bestblanks.com?

Offline easyscore

Re: Heat Press Question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »
Geo Knights are great heat presses. Any reason you want the combo press?

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 02:34:21 PM »
best blanks is great, been using them for 7 years, contact Linda <linda@bestblanks.com> directly instead of placing orders through the site, better pricing!!!!

GB twooooooooooooo
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Tag1

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 02:59:13 PM »
This is the press that Linda at Best Blanks recommended we look at.  We are a new screen printing shop and also moving toward sublimation and vinyl  What do you mean by combo press?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 03:16:02 PM »
This is the press that Linda at Best Blanks recommended we look at.  We are a new screen printing shop and also moving toward sublimation and vinyl  What do you mean by combo press?

I think that the DC line, is part of the line that accepts different heat and substrate platens like flat for shirts, and ones for caps, etc. That whole line is called their Multi Purpose line.
"DC" stands for Digital Combo.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline aauusa

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 04:51:23 PM »
take a look a stahls and hottronix.  if your are shopping around go to all of the stores.  We have the air fusion and love it.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 04:57:34 PM »
I have owned Insta, Hix & Geo Knight presses over the years.....My every day press is a Geo Knight DK20.....I think it holds heat better than my Hix HT600D.....I also like the way the arm works....I think it gives me more of an opening....That said,. if you come across a used Hix, Hotronix or Insta press you should seriously consider it....As far as clamshell versus swing away presses, I have always like the clam shells....I think they are more efficient if you are in a hurry.....

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 05:03:02 PM »
I have owned Insta, Hix & Geo Knight presses over the years.....My every day press is a Geo Knight DK20.....I think it holds heat better than my Hix HT600D.....I also like the way the arm works....I think it gives me more of an opening....That said,. if you come across a used Hix, Hotronix or Insta press you should seriously consider it....As far as clamshell versus swing away presses, I have always like the clam shells....I think they are more efficient if you are in a hurry.....

But some clamshells have not solved the problem of the heat platen coming down unevenly (starting at the back) that can cause creep.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 05:11:45 PM »
What I didn't like about clamshells were burnt knuckles. I have DK20 and love it, just wish it was an auto.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 05:11:45 PM »
But some clamshells have not solved the problem of the heat platen coming down unevenly (starting at the back) that can cause creep.

Never had that problem.....

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 05:19:25 PM »

Never had that problem.....

Good manufacturers recognized and addressed the problem years ago. I have one clamshell, a Knight which does not start to make any contact until the heat platen is parallel to the substrate platen, and then comes down evenly.

Offline Tag1

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 06:39:08 PM »
I was looking at the Hotronix Fusion but Linda expressed concern about the limited thickness that it would print on.  How big of an issue would that really be.  Hotronix is quite a bit more expensive as well. 

Offline dsh

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 05:33:25 AM »
If you think you're going to do larger runs of heat press items, and you can afford it, get the air version.  Your arms will thank you for it.  I have the DK 20, and after getting the air version of the 16 it made heat pressing so much easier.  The auto release will also be a nice benefit.