Industry regulations > OSHA

Machine Guarding

(1/11) > >>

Flying Colors:
We recently had a OSHA visit. They found a few things that we need to get better but all in all it went pretty well.

The main issue we have is with Machine Guarding. Currently, we have the standard emergency bars/cords that everyone else seems to have.

The inspector said we need to have the machine guarded so someone cannot crawl through any opening. I explained that this is the industry standard but the inspector did not seem to be interested in that.

Anyone else have this issue before and is there some sort of exemption we can file?

Mark

tonypep:
You can try the lock-out tag-out route. Years ago they made us put guards on the back of the dryer over the rollers. He claimed that this was a "nip point"

TCT:
Dude that SUCKS Mark!!!! So did he have a issue with all your automatics?

That just doesn't seem right(not that I have a clue). It would be hard to believe that the manufacturers of ALL automatics out there would create a machine that would create a immediate OSHA violation.... Hopefully 244 will chime in, I'd wager he would know a thing or two about this.

Please keep us updated Mark, if your inspector is correct we all have something to be worried about! :-

tonypep:
What is curious to me is that OSHA doesn't go after the mfg (ignorance on my part; could be some territorial issue) Long ago, when some very unfortunate person got his skull crushed on an Oval due to a by-passed safety; OSHA made that company lock the screen side of all of the machines behind fencing. A dead mans switch that cut power to the machines was the only way to get behind the machine. Someone actually died and yet no action taken against the equip mfg. themselves to my knowledge.

244:

--- Quote from: TCT on September 03, 2014, 10:20:28 PM ---Dude that SUCKS Mark!!!! So did he have a issue with all your automatics?

That just doesn't seem right(not that I have a clue). It would be hard to believe that the manufacturers of ALL automatics out there would create a machine that would create a immediate OSHA violation.... Hopefully 244 will chime in, I'd wager he would know a thing or two about this.

Please keep us updated Mark, if your inspector is correct we all have something to be worried about! :-

--- End quote ---
Each inspector translates the guidelines differently. We do offer for our machines a full wrap around laser safety system that inspectors way more critical than OSHA has approved. Great for safety but a real pain in production. You can't even card the screens without causing the press to stop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version