Author Topic: Machine Guarding  (Read 19038 times)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Machine Guarding
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 02:08:58 PM »
It seems to me that something like a chop saw is a hell of a lot more dangerous than a screen printing press,
and yet because it's not really possible to operate completely safely in the field it receives far less scrutiny.
IE don't block the guard and you're good to go.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 02:13:05 PM »
Fastest we have ever been able to run it was 1240/hr.(may of been 1204/hr.) and that glory was short lived, we just couldn't keep up. So if it could go faster than that great, but in the real world there is no real reason it would need to.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 02:16:46 PM »
Fastest we have ever been able to run it was 1240/hr.(may of been 1204/hr.) and that glory was short lived, we just couldn't keep up. So if it could go faster than that great, but in the real world there is no real reason it would need to.
And at 1240 per hour you are sure the indexer wont hurt you pretty badly?
Rich Hoffman

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 02:22:27 PM »
And at 1240 per hour you are sure the indexer wont hurt you pretty badly?

Yes. We could be printing 20/hr or 1200/hr, the force that it indexes with dosent change. Dwell time, print size, flashing, ect. is what slows or speeds up the machine.
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »
I've seen what happens when the servo accelerations are set incorrectly and a machine reverses quickly.  And this was on a "little" 1600oz servo on a cnc machine.  Much smaller than the motors that index our presses.

Reverse indexing a press instantly will not be good for the long term longevity of the gears or servo.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 02:31:04 PM »
It doesn't "reverse". It just goes dead. Maybe I'll sacrifice my hip after lunch here and make a video for you guys.

Mark, none of this helps you sorry man. Is there any way you can have the inspector take a closer look and maybe "index" him....?  ;D
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 03:19:13 PM »
Mark, none of this helps you sorry man. Is there any way you can have the inspector take a closer look and maybe "index" him....?  ;D

There's a certain image floating around that may illustrate exactly what you're talking about here...
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 03:32:59 PM »
Like when I tossed a mannequin into the swirling Death Machine?

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 03:35:36 PM »
Just throwing this out there but it wouldn't be that hard to add a safety system to the brand X machine, the green one and posablely the blue one. It could be done with light beams or maybe even a pull cord around the press. It would be costly, I know it could be done on the brand X.

Another option would be the safety zones and a training program where anyone entering the shop area would have to take an approved class developed by you that would cover the dangers. The person would have 2 hrs of training, sign off on the materials and get a card with refresher training every year. Like forklift certification.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 04:08:27 PM »
The S.roque "safe servo" isn't going to just halt like the MHM oval I don't think, Alex has chimed in on that.  My understanding is it prevents major injury.  If you just threw your arm into it it might break it I imagine, depending on where you threw it into, but would not "follow through" and complete the index, ripping said arm off or dragging you in.  You would get hurt but not stuck inside the machine's workings.

If it's really needed for MI OSHA, maybe you could just make a hexagonal shape of gates all around the press out of wood or metal.  Nobody could "crawl into" it during operation but you could lean over to scoop ink and the ops could just swing the gates open when the safety bars/cables are disengaged for changeovers.  Heck, if you have safety bars that swing horizontally you could hook up the gates to them, just bolt a post under the hinging part of the safety bar.  That wouldn't be bad, no one could get in there unless the safety was engaged, or duck under the bars with the machine in operation as I've heard in one or two horror stories.   

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »
Ok so I broke my "work time TSB ban" and look what happens. I start posting and end up making a video! On top of that all of us here has a good laugh for 30min after watching the video a few dozen times...

Enjoy fellas....

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:02:56 PM by TCT »
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 05:59:17 PM »
That's a great safety feature.  Thx for the vid I was really wondering how that worked in real life.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 06:09:32 PM »
That'll leave a mark.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »
That's what I was thinking... can we see the bruise?

That looked like about as hard as the Javelin hit me when I got indexed... I thought it broke my arm.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 07:04:31 PM »
Oh ya, you will feel it that is why I put my fat ass in there! ;D

I probably made it look a bit more dramatic than it was because I knew it was coming. But all I was trying to illustrate is how it goes "dead".
Alex

www.twincitytees.com