Author Topic: Machine Guarding  (Read 18392 times)

Offline Flying Colors

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
Re: Machine Guarding
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 07:48:19 PM »
Alex-

This does help, the brainstorming is great and I will bring up all these ideas (the least expensive ones first) at the closing conference and get the inspectors opinion.

I think I will put your video on a big screen for demonstration purposes and tell him to go to Minnesota next.

Mark

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »
Alex-

This does help, the brainstorming is great and I will bring up all these ideas (the least expensive ones first) at the closing conference and get the inspectors opinion.

I think I will put your video on a big screen for demonstration purposes and tell him to go to Minnesota next.

Mark

Ya, lets go ahead and NOT do that! Inspectors give me panic attacks. I have rental properties and have been put through the ringer before by the city and the inspectors. Oddly enough we had the fire inspector here on Tuesday(ruined my whole weekend worrying about it) he was super cool, only have 4 things I need to fix!

Really wish I could be of more help.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 01:23:58 AM »
Ok so I broke my "work time TSB ban" and look what happens. I start posting and end up making a video! On top of that all of us here has a good laugh for 30min after watching the video a few dozen times...

Enjoy fellas....

Dude, WTF. Your HARD CORE.
I'm still not sure I would want to get hit in the head with that, & I wander if that's the inspectors problem/ worry.
I know someone that was hit in the head, it wasn't pretty, he's alive but, very lucky.

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 09:30:13 AM »
The guys from Forward Printing where telling me about this in LB.  I asked him if he would demonstrate and he politely declined.  My hat is off to you for making the sacrifice and I got a good laugh out of it as well.

I have a rule for my operators that if they bend over at the load or unload station during production will result in their immediate termination.  I have had to do this once after the pallet clipped his nose, he was extremely lucky.   

Chris

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 10:59:48 AM »
So I know this was from a few days ago, but Mark did any good news come of the meeting? Were they somewhat cool with understanding the industry "standard" is basically safety bars/wires?

Sidenote, I ended up being bruise free from my little demonstration! Anyone want proof of that, PM me your credit card number and I'll get you some pics of my duff!   8)    ;D ;D ;D
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 11:04:16 AM »
the easy thing with the fire inspection is to leave a crapload of extension cords plugged in and take down your fire extinguishers...they will tell you those two things and move on.

They weren't happy I deadbolt the back door in off hours, but the city and county police recommended it.  It's unlocked and "single motion" exit while the building is occupied.  I try and lock all doors between areas to slow down any break-ins.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 11:06:36 AM »
Alex, that video is halarious! Go see the Chiro and get that back re-aligned hahahahahhahahahahah. Betchya had to change your shorts after that one, lol ;D
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Online bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 01:18:36 PM »
Sounds like another credit card scam to me. I bet I don't get any pics or videos, but I'll try anyway. How much?
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 07:51:35 PM »
Sounds like another credit card scam to me. I bet I don't get any pics or videos, but I'll try anyway. How much?
Oh, never had anyone interested, let me ask my wife and get back to you... :D
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Flying Colors

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »
No answers yet Alex, we still have not had the closing conference.

Mark

Offline Flying Colors

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2014, 07:50:54 PM »
We had our closing conference yesterday and it was not good news. The inspector said we have to have all of the automatics guarded so someone cannot put their hand into the press.

I told him that I respectfully disagree with his interpretation of the rule. I asked him if we could put some cones or yellow tape down to alert people of danger areas and he said that would not be sufficient.

Our next step is to have their Consultation Department down here to see if they will give us a different interpretation of the law.

I also asked him, since he is from MiOsha, if MiOsha's machine guarding rules were more stringent than Federal OSHA. The inspector said no, even if he went off of the Federal OSHA laws he would still report us as a violation.

I did find out exactly what he wants guarded. He is saying there is a Pinch Point at every print head. The pinch point is where a indexing the pallet crosses underneath the frame.

Mark

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2014, 08:19:13 PM »
We had our closing conference yesterday and it was not good news. The inspector said we have to have all of the automatics guarded so someone cannot put their hand into the press.

I told him that I respectfully disagree with his interpretation of the rule. I asked him if we could put some cones or yellow tape down to alert people of danger areas and he said that would not be sufficient.

Our next step is to have their Consultation Department down here to see if they will give us a different interpretation of the law.

I also asked him, since he is from MiOsha, if MiOsha's machine guarding rules were more stringent than Federal OSHA. The inspector said no, even if he went off of the Federal OSHA laws he would still report us as a violation.

I did find out exactly what he wants guarded. He is saying there is a Pinch Point at every print head. The pinch point is where a indexing the pallet crosses underneath the frame.

Mark
You will need the full wrap system we offer our customers. Our system is about $8,000.00 and requires a program change. We can offer the system but no programming for other brands. That will be up to them. If you want to discuss I will be back in my office on the 30th. Feel free to call.
Rich Hoffman

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2014, 09:39:59 PM »
That is horrible news Mark! I'll curse their name/organization for you from here, and quietly so as not to draw attention to myself.

In all seriousness though, one would think if this is a issue it would of come up publicly, in a trade mag. or on a forum before.... I have found the hard way it isn't always the best practice to question/challenge an inspector but is it possible to ask if this inspector in particular has EVER inspected a screen printing shop before? Or if MiOsha has ever inspected one ever before also I guess. If anything this would give you an idea of what someone has had to do before for these guys. Basically what MiOsha is saying is that 99.99% of autos out there create an immediate OSHA violation once installed? That just seems so absurd to me.

It would also be interesting to know what if anything the new $22M Teespring plant in KY will handle this, forgot the exact number but I want to say they are installing 50 or 60 autos. One would think they would try to be proactive to avoid issues with OSHA.

244/Rich- I know you probably can't be specific with names and whatnot, but is this a issue that you have seen at all before? I'm not trying to point fingers or anything, just on this whole forum you are probably the most experienced/knowledgeable with this if sometimes it poses a issue to some inspectors.

Just in case- anatolhelp, colintas, Baron265 Have you guys ever seen anything like this before?

If for some odd reason there is anything I can do Mark let me know. You can use my video and show the inspector the press doesn't kill anyone.... If you do, please have your art dept. blur out the back of my shirt so I don't draw any attention!

Good luck buddy!
Alex

www.twincitytees.com

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »
That is horrible news Mark! I'll curse their name/organization for you from here, and quietly so as not to draw attention to myself.

In all seriousness though, one would think if this is a issue it would of come up publicly, in a trade mag. or on a forum before.... I have found the hard way it isn't always the best practice to question/challenge an inspector but is it possible to ask if this inspector in particular has EVER inspected a screen printing shop before? Or if MiOsha has ever inspected one ever before also I guess. If anything this would give you an idea of what someone has had to do before for these guys. Basically what MiOsha is saying is that 99.99% of autos out there create an immediate OSHA violation once installed? That just seems so absurd to me.

It would also be interesting to know what if anything the new $22M Teespring plant in KY will handle this, forgot the exact number but I want to say they are installing 50 or 60 autos. One would think they would try to be proactive to avoid issues with OSHA.

244/Rich- I know you probably can't be specific with names and whatnot, but is this a issue that you have seen at all before? I'm not trying to point fingers or anything, just on this whole forum you are probably the most experienced/knowledgeable with this if sometimes it poses a issue to some inspectors.

Just in case- anatolhelp, colintas, Baron265 Have you guys ever seen anything like this before?

If for some odd reason there is anything I can do Mark let me know. You can use my video and show the inspector the press doesn't kill anyone.... If you do, please have your art dept. blur out the back of my shirt so I don't draw any attention!

Good luck buddy!
I have seen this more than you would imagine. We do not ship machines into France or Montreal Canada without the full system. M&R has spent millions of dollars on this issue and finally came up with a system that is acceptable to most if not all inspection procedures. It is quite expensive but definitely protects the operators and has passed the most strenuous test thrown at it. We showed it to the U.S. customers at the SGAI last year. When we offer it to our customer base they say our press is too expensive so we make it an option you take or sign off you don,t want it. If you get inspected expect this to be an issue and hopefully your supplier of choice is ready to help with a solution!
Rich Hoffman

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2014, 10:04:43 PM »
I have seen this more than you would imagine.

Well thanks for the bad news answer(can you read my sarcasm?) Seriously though, thanks for the insight Rich!
Alex

www.twincitytees.com