Author Topic: what's everyone liking for mesh these days?  (Read 9656 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
what's everyone liking for mesh these days?
« on: September 08, 2014, 04:43:28 PM »
I have 50 screens I need to re-mesh. I've really come to like the Shur-loc panels, but think the cost will be prohibitive for me on it and I will be doing them the conventional way.

I am nervous about the Murakami smart mesh as my screen guy has popped the few I've tried in reclaim, on top of the few I popped in stretching. I know this is an obstacle we really need to overcome down the road.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Links?

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
Re: what's everyone liking for mesh these days?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 05:21:07 PM »
We're sticking with the S and LX even though they are so delicate and the learning curve is a bit costly. the benefits outweigh the cost of tuition for learning how to handle them.

Dial down your tension a bit, you really don't need to be flirting with that fine line near as much to get the best out of them as with standard mesh. You shouldn't be popping them during tensioning.

That said, even with lower than max tension, they are delicate and people just need to handle them gently. Set up the same image on the same mesh count on an S or LX mesh and a standard mesh and have your guys pull a few prints with both. it should be an easy sell and after they "buy-in" it's easier to get them to quit throwing them around.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 06:15:55 PM »
I have 50 screens I need to re-mesh. I've really come to like the Shur-loc panels, but think the cost will be prohibitive for me on it and I will be doing them the conventional way.

I am nervous about the Murakami smart mesh as my screen guy has popped the few I've tried in reclaim, on top of the few I popped in stretching. I know this is an obstacle we really need to overcome down the road.

What counts?  Bolt mesh is what I always used for the options it gave me.  Would be in the $5 - $17 per yard range.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »
Murakmi:
125/71
135/64-fasing out
160/64-will replace with 160/48s
200/54-fasing out
225/40s
330/30s

This is what we use day to day, all shur-loc panels on MZX app. 150 screens in rotation now.  Also have some 60/140 and 86/100 for glitters gels and HD inks.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:46:16 PM »

What counts?  Bolt mesh is what I always used for the options it gave me.  Would be in the $5 - $17 per yard range.

What I've been using is 110, 160, and 200. I am considering switching the 110's to 125.

I know if I go the smart mesh route I would need to up those mesh counts. Who sells the smart mesh by the yard? If I stretched them from bolt mesh, as opposed to panels, at least the waste factor wouldn't be as expensive as we learn to properly handle them here.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 08:50:21 PM »
125 is $5.30 per yard 60" wide
160 is $6.90 per yard 60" wide
200 is $8.25 per yard 60" wide
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 09:10:37 PM »
Northwest Graphic sells it by the yard...
nwgraphic.com
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline KevWilso

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 10:20:29 PM »
So you're breaking them when you stretch them, but Shur-Locs are too expensive? Help me with the math.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 11:24:54 PM »
Thanks Sonny and Kevin!

Sonny, what brand mesh is that for?

Dave/Bim, I popped a few Shur-loc smart mesh panels while stretching them. Then I got a few to work for me, but they didn't survive reclaim. Which makes me think I would be better off with stretching these 50 frames with normal mesh (sefar, satti, etc)

The after thought was maybe I just need to bite the bullet and we all need to learn how to handle them here. So if I stretched them with Murakami roll mesh it would cost me appx 1/3 of the price per screen vs murakami panels. Of course this brings on the labor vs material cost argument.

Also, to clarify, my initial post was to see what mesh brands everyone was partial to (not mesh count) if I was to not go with the smart mesh.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 06:28:05 AM »
Basically it is Saati Smart Mesh.  I say basically because we by it direct from the weaver that Saati uses in Italy. 
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 10:05:46 AM »
Basically it is Saati Smart Mesh.  I say basically because we by it direct from the weaver that Saati uses in Italy.

So it's made by the same company which makes it for Saati? And it's a "smart mesh", which would be a thin mesh, right? What is the thread micron? Great pricing on it no matter what it is.

Has anyone on here used this mesh from Sonny yet?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:05:53 PM by Shanarchy »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 12:35:34 PM »
Not from Sonny, but we've used plenty of Saati mesh over the years. High quality product. And "s" threads have been around as long as I've been in the trade, and that's pretty damn close to 40 years. It is a little tougher to get used to, but as said, the trade-off is worth it. More ink down, and higher resolution is hard to beat...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline islandtees

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 01:58:57 PM »

So it's made by the same company which makes it for Saati? And it's a "smart mesh", which would be a thin mesh, right? What is the thread micron? Great pricing on it no matter what it is.

HAs anyone on hear used this mesh from Sonny yet?
We purchased bolts of 110, 156, 180 and 230 from him. The mesh has been fine. Couldn't find a difference between this and Sefar, which we were using.
At his prices you can build screens for Aprox $5.00 in mesh per screen.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 04:24:08 AM »
I have no compared the % of open area of Saati mesh to Murakami Smartmesh.  Murakami mesh beats Saati  on every mesh count. So where do I find the Saati smartmesh?
As for mesh counts we use
Murakami
150-48
180-48
225-48
330-30

I assume you can alternatively go as well for NBC mesh which is almost identically to Murakami mesh.