Author Topic: what's everyone liking for mesh these days?  (Read 9645 times)

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
Re: what's everyone liking for mesh these days?
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 09:25:11 AM »
Sefar: 83/70 - 195/48 - 230/40 - 305/31 - 355/31

I've been using these for over 15 years. Nothing new, but I do like them.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 03:28:16 PM »
Hello Printficient and all readers here:

Printficient, sorry you do not sell Smartmesh.  It is a trademark of Nittoku Corporation from Japan who sells it only through Murakami Screen USA.  Saati does not make Smart Mesh, period. Please stop confusing the forum with mis-information.  thank you in advance, I know we are all trying to make business but this isn't right to say Saati makes Smartmesh, and the mesh they do make nowadays is not the same as ours, or even close. Unfortunately I have been requested to forward your comment about selling Smartmesh made by Saati to our corporate offices, they will be in contact.

Here is the real deal on Smart mesh:

1. Smartmesh uses a proprietary thread that is a low elongation thread.  This is how it maintains excellent registration during print and retains excellent workable tensions.
It requires good handling techniques, the prints speak for themselves.  Dot on dot register, better opacity with S mesh base plates, treated threads above 280 to transfer those pesky fine halftones better with less squeegee pressure.

2. It requires you look at your stretching processes.  It reaches tension much faster than other meshes due to it's low elongation properties.  Most other mesh stretches like a rubber band which loses more tension over time, can make registration difficult at lower tensions.  I have specific recommendations to help any shop print better with this mesh, too much info to write up here, so hit me up with your issues so I can help.

3. Evaluate the current tensions you are printing at.  Do not combine a 20 newton Smart Mesh 150S with 8 newton or less older 300's.  Why?  Because you will have to put off contact at 1/4" on the 300's and 1/8th inch on the 150S.  Most shops don't bother to change off contact, or round off squeegee corners and the result is a popped screen.
Reclaiming, degreasing, set up are all shop specific so a call on how to best use it goes a long way.

4. At lower tension levels Smartmesh will still hold excellent register and have good print qualities.  High tension only needs to be high enough to get a sharp well registered print.  More tension is not necessarily good.  Pallets are rarely leveled perfectly, heads may have been adjusted with more off contact and super high tensions become a headache.  Optimum working tensions in the 17-22n range work well and prevent popping.  If your shop is set up right, sure bump the tensions to get better peel, or faster squeegee speeds.  I hear comments that "I print at 35 newtons, no less". If the mesh and your shop can handle that great, most cannot due to heavy production needs that alter pallet levelness, no change in off contact due to deadlines, or personnel who know how to load but have no idea how to level pallets or set off contact. 

Many here on the forums have made great comments about Smartmesh, which comes in many thread diameters for the needs of your shop.  Once fine tuned for your set up it performs exceptionally well.  If you are having any issues with Smartmesh or where to get it please contact me directly so I can help trouble shoot any issues you may have.  We can also drop ship from here through your Murakami Dealer if your local Murakami Dealer doesn't have a particular count in stock.

abuffington@murakamiscreen.com
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 04:08:03 PM »
Alan I said we get it from the same weaver.  We buy direct from the maker and have more mesh on hand than anyone in the states.  About 1.5 million dollars worth at any one time.  It is Italian mesh from Italy.  Sorry if it confused anyone.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 04:59:38 PM »

Quote from: Printficient on September 09, 2014, 06:28:05 AM

Basically it is Saati Smart Mesh.  I say basically because we by it direct from the weaver that Saati uses in Italy.

Quote from Post following your post above:

So it's made by the same company which makes it for Saati? And it's a "smart mesh", which would be a thin mesh, right? What is the thread micron? Great pricing on it no matter what it is.

Has anyone on here used this mesh from Sonny yet?

You follow up with another misleading comment:

Alan I said we get it from the same weaver.  

Here are the misleading quotes above where you say it's basically Smart Mesh from Saati, you go on to say it's from the same weaver. No Smartmesh (TM) has ever been made by Saati. Smartmesh is a registered brand worldwide, The S in S-mesh is an American designation for thread thickness as in SS, S, M, T, HD, from thinnest thread to thicketst thread,  the rest of the world uses metric and states it in microns.  So a 300/T is a 300/34.  A 150/S is a 150/48 elsewhere.

You do not get it from the same weaver that makes Smartmesh, because they and Murakami go back to the beginning of both companies and we are the exclusive distributor in the Western Hemisphere.  You sell Saati mesh, not Nittoku mesh.  You called your product Smart mesh.
Your misleading comments are noted.  I suggest you clarify yourself and set the record straight.
Alan Buffington
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 05:50:27 PM »
You are correct.  We get it from the same weaver that makes Saati which is what I said.  You are also correct that Saati does not make "Smart" mesh but has five different highly efficient mesh technologies for the industry.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2014, 06:02:04 PM »
So why do you use the term Smart Mesh then?  This is not your trade mark, brand, or product, yet you lift a trademark from the thread like you are associated with Smart Mesh?

Stick to your product names.  Thanks.

Alan
Alan Buffington
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2014, 06:39:02 PM »
Still looking at Saati`s mesh data, there is not one mesh that compares in terms of % of open area to the Smartmesh. Loving ours especially since we now can buy it in 5 meter minimums directly of Murakami.

Offline TomTshirts

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 04:14:07 PM »
I know this hasn't been posted in for a while, but there are a few posters asking what Saati sells with similar % open areas to compete with Murakami Smartmesh.

That would be Saati's Hi-Dro Mesh line.

http://www.saati.com/hi-dro.php

For example, they have a 110-64 that's 53% open, to Murakami's 110-71 48% open. They offer less s-thread meshes than Murakami, but still enough to cover what most screen printers would want.

I have not used these and do not know how they compare to Murakami in actual use, I'm just pointing to this as an answer to people's questions.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 04:47:31 PM by TomTshirts »