Author Topic: Rutland discharge base  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Rutland discharge base
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:46:42 PM »
I hope to try their base soon and was hoping someone could give me some feedback on their discharge products and what to look out for. is there base as good as the CCI base in germs of not drying in the screen that quickly. The Matsui base we got dries in way too fast and colors don`t come out so bright. What are their pigments like, easy to match pantone colors with?
Any feedback would be welcome

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Rutland discharge base
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 03:45:42 PM »
CCI takes the Sericol approach (and one could say they took a little more than the approach from them)- minimal to no additives.  Both systems have a retarder as the only additive and neither really need the retarder.  These are basically out of the bucket inks.

Rutland is polar opposite, the inks will need a set of modifiers to suit your shop best.  I would start with a combination of penetrant, retarder as needed (Rutland calls it "lubricant") and a softener (we use Matsui XA-1 across all wb/dc inks).  Side by side Rutland out of the bucket to CCI or Sericol isn't going to tell you much since the Rutland is designed to be modified.  I believe Matsui is similar though my experience with it is limited.

We are going to do a serious test of Rutlands' DC base to CCI soon, looking at all angles- on press, WOW performance, color, washfastness, cure parameters needed -but for now we run CCI D-Base Premium.  We did already switch to Rutland's Quick Cure base for WB however.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 03:58:27 PM »
I hate the Rutland discharge and / or their WB inks. Super aggressive on stencils, dries out way too easy, etc.

I tried the Sericol stuff once and was not impressed. Similar to Rutland but maybe a little less finicky.

CCI or Matsui would be my choices.

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 06:54:28 AM »
And that's how we all differ. Been using Rutland D/C-Pigs for years no additives no problems. Last testing showed the white plus best product out there. Just ran into a QC problem on the white yesterday though. Its being addressed.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 11:04:02 AM »
Problem fixed and batch has been pulled out and quarantined for examination. Good thing because my Magna emergency back up is off white and has an acrid smell (not sulfur) that no one likes. No problems with drying and stencil issues for us. All colors libraried and activated as needed. Penetrant only for inverse printing just for insurance and consistency

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 02:15:50 PM »
Yep, you're in a humid environment right Tony?  We're in a semi-arid steppe essentially. 

With the penetrant, we simply prefer it to using additional water in our mixes.

I always saw the Sericol as about ideal for how a WB/DC ink should behave on screen, we use the additives to get the Rutland or Rutland/CCI mixes close to those characteristics....different strokes I guess.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 07:44:23 AM »
I suspect Sericol uses a glycerine based ingredient to prevent premature evaporation. It has been known to separate from the base. Good products......just an observation.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 02:13:14 PM »
I think nearly all our WB's have gylcerin, including the flatstock inks.  Can't really glean much from the Rutland DC Base msds though. 

Offline noortrd

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 02:45:10 PM »
Try magna. Nothing better than magna super white.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 02:51:08 PM »
Magna's Super White was a nice ink on the press but just didn't yield us an optically bright white, more like an bone/antique look.  Great ink just not "white" enough compared to CCI D-White. 

Sericol's HO white was about the same, very nice ink, not white enough.

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 03:05:33 PM »
I'm telling you the Rutland white plus is the whitest so far . Significant scientific testing done here in real time has proven it over and over.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 03:23:34 PM »
we tried it, and always found CCI brighter!. Still have to try this virus ink
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 05:08:56 PM »
I'm telling you the Rutland white plus is the whitest so far . Significant scientific testing done here in real time has proven it over and over.

Have a qt on the shelf ready for testing. Still waiting for that legendary "slow time" to get around to doing it.

It better be whitest for the difference in price!