Author Topic: Equipment Deliver  (Read 2998 times)

Offline innothread

• Verified/Junior
Equipment Deliver
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:29:12 PM »
Hey Guys!  So, I purchased my first new auto and it's expected to come the first week of Sept.  Can anyone give me some pointers of what to expect as far as delivery, unloading, etc, etc.

I know I need a forklift and probably a pallet jack as well.  But I've never even used a forklift before and I heard the driver won't mess with helping unload.  What did you guys do?

Also, what's a realistic time period to be down while your getting everything setup?  I'm super busy and I know it's going to be a real hectic week, so I want to try and plan accordingly.

-Kris
InnoThread Graphics
screen printing & embroidery

Offline Lonestarapparel

• Verified/Junior
Re: Equipment Deliver
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »
Kris,

I had my first auto delivered in March.  You will need a forklift forsure and possiably a pallet jack to move it around in the shop. (Depends on your shop layout)  I would suggest Uncrating most of the equipment before the tech gets there.  Its a waste of two hours of him uncrating it.   My install took about a day and a half for it to be completly ready to do. 

-Make sure your electrical is up to speed for new equipment.
- know exactly where you want it and how you want it positioned before hand. 

What equipment did you get? 

PS...I found someone in the warehouse complex that had a forklift and they unloaded it for me for a box of donuts.  Good Luck

Offline innothread

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 10:05:27 PM »
I have a shop diagram with the layout set and all the electrical dropped to where the equipment is going.

M&R Diamondback XL 8/10
Fusion 36
msp 3140
IR rotary screw compressor
InnoThread Graphics
screen printing & embroidery

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 12:11:49 AM »
Hey Guys!  So, I purchased my first new auto and it's expected to come the first week of Sept.  Can anyone give me some pointers of what to expect as far as delivery, unloading, etc, etc.

I know I need a forklift and probably a pallet jack as well.  But I've never even used a forklift before and I heard the driver won't mess with helping unload.  What did you guys do?

Also, what's a realistic time period to be down while your getting everything setup?  I'm super busy and I know it's going to be a real hectic week, so I want to try and plan accordingly.

-Kris

Congrats Kris. Your life is in for a big positive change. You will need time, time, and more time. Don't know your shop set up and the amount of employees if any. If you do have at least one employee keep them printing. If your manual is not producing you have no money coming in to pay for the amount of time it will take to learn how to print on your auto. Unless you already have auto experience. But remember that thing has to be bolted to the floor. Have your electric ready to go! And do not skimp on your compressor or chiller. If doing discharge all day are you vented probably? Nothing like 600+ shirts an hour with discharge just pumping out that dryer all over the shop. Best way to kill yourself and everyone else. Just have some extra cash as well on hand to buy the tech a few beers. They deserve it. And your friends or employees who you are going to need to stick around to move stuff, do this or that, or just offer support. Again, congrats for the purchase. Those things make you money unlike losing money as soon as you drive it off the lot. Have a good weekend!

Offline squeezee

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 04:08:42 AM »
Never uncrate a piece of kit before the guy gets there - what if there's a bit missing?
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 09:33:56 AM »

-Kris

Kris:  The Manufacturer or Dealer that you bought the equipment from should be all over this situation making sure that you have a positive installation and training experience.  Please, please call them and get them scheduled to be there when the equipment is delivered and comes off the truck.  If there’s any damage to the crates, or pieces missing you might want someone else on site to witness the condition of the equipment when it arrives at your facility.  Just in case this level of support isn’t available I’ll offer the following advice.

Site Preparation
Space:  Make sure that you have adequate clear space in your facility to set-up the press with around 36” – 42” clearance around the full diameter of the press.   

Utilities:  Ensure that electrical and compressed air supply is readily available in the building and in close proximity to the press.    Don’t wait to the Install tech gets there to start running piping for the compressed air or three phase power form the electrical panel, and also don’t forget about drops for flash cures at multiple locations around the press.   

Screens and Artwork:   Have at least a couple of jobs set up on screen with inks mixed and ready to print for when the press is ready.  Don’t waste you’re valuable training time by hunting down something to print after the press is already running.

Unloading:   If you don’t have a dock level door (and many don’t) and even if you are familiar with driving a forklift you will need a high capacity unit with extended forks to handle the crate with the main base assembly.  Nothing spoils an installation more than dropping part of your press unloading it from the truck. A much safer way to get the heavy crates off the truck is to call your local towing service and have them send over a flatbed tow truck.  This way you can just back up to the back of the Van and drag the crates off the back and onto the flatbed.  (Make sure to leave about 1’ of overhang of the back of the flat bed and then just back-up to the door of your facility and slide the crates down onto the ground where they can be easily moved with a pallet lifter.   

Un-crating:  Most manufacturers will require you to have the equipment uncrated and the crates moved out of the way before the installation tech arrives onsite 

You Preparation: Cancel all of your appointments, free-up your schedule, and turn off your cell phone.  Now you’re ready to stick to that installation Tech for every minute that he is on site so you can learn as much as you can.  Here’s another tip:  “Take Care Of The Tech”  offer to buy the guy lunch and/or dinner and make him feel part of the team.  These guys bust ass and often we forget to take care of them, nearly as well as they take care of us.
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 11:56:22 AM »
Never uncrate a piece of kit before the guy gets there - what if there's a bit missing?
There should be a sheet from us that tells you how to prepare for the techs arrival. If you don't have that let us know and we will get it to you. The press should be uncrated. It is very rare something is missing and if so we just take care of it so dont worry about that.
Rich Hoffman

Offline squeegee

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 12:21:42 PM »
But I've never even used a forklift before and I heard the driver won't mess with helping unload.  What did you guys do?

Operating a fork lift isn't that hard.  If you attempt to run the fork yourself, take your time and really think about it's movements, practice on something if you can so you can learn the nuances of the controls and the steering, go slow and make sure it's rated capacity is well above the weight of what you are lifting, and make sure you get the long forks, 6' forks is what I usually rent when bringing in/removing a press.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 03:34:29 PM »
Forklifts kick butt...that is ALL you need to know about equipment installs.

It sounds like you have it all covered.  Make sure you have the best workspace for the install.  Make plenty of room and have the parts staged well so that you can move them around in case a pallet of something gets installed first and there is another in the way.  You want to be able to move them quickly to get the parts where they need to go.

You are paying the tech by the hour usually, might as well make it go quickly.  If it's a flat fee for X amount of hours, maybe he will hang around longer and you can learn more.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 03:41:59 PM »
I'd also suggest, as mentioned earlier, to have a few jobs you can set up and run. But don't make them simple jobs that any press can do. Make sure they have tight registration. Throw your toughest job at your new baby. Makes sure it's all you expect. Don't sign anything saying you're satisfied with install if you're not. 
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline T Shirt1

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »
 I like to get a rigging company to pick up at the freight dock, deliver, uncrate and spot the machine where we want it.  For me the $200 - $300 is worth it;  1) they've got the experience, equipment and people 2) if they drop it - it's their problem  3) I'd rather not risk one of our guys throwing their back out wrestling a machine.  JMO
steve