Author Topic: scissor lift tables  (Read 5232 times)

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
Re: scissor lift tables
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 03:28:03 PM »
I see a number of uses for these, yet I don't have any yet. First thought was making adjustable tables for my sorting and tagging people. Often just temp workers and the may be 4'-10" or 6'-5". Slap a hollow core door on here and have adjustable tales. As well as the obvious uses. 
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 03:46:26 PM »
No kidding, I just saw the email flyer yesterday and had the same thought. 

The 500lb capacity one are only 160!

The 500lb has about 7" less height to it though.

Offline Croft

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 04:27:06 PM »
I had 6 custom carts made 31"x24"x25" steel frame with top and base shelf they work great for me ,we regularly stack about 400-500tees on each cart and have a rubbermaid container under each one with rags or supplies in them. The scissor cart would work but I like keeping it simple. There small but mighty in the pic there are 300 gild an performance tees on it. had them painted my favourite colour:)

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 04:28:03 PM »
we have 8 of the harbor freight lift tables here and boy oh boy are they nice!!

they have big wheels  on em, carry over 1000lbs and when you have those large runs, we can stack all of the shirts on a single cart, then just pump the foot lever and it lifts up to keep the loading height at just the right level.

We use them behind the dryer to stack shirts on, stage the next job and just roll them around where needed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-69148.html

What's the long-term life expectancy on the hydraulics of these pieces of fine machinery?
How long have yours been on the floor?

A floor jack used for oil changes and tire rotations five or ten times a year is way different than that same jack seeing daily duty in a working garage.
Aren't these similar?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 05:41:08 PM »

The 500lb has about 7" less height to it though.

Just build a box on top to adjust the height to whatever the ideal would be.  For me it would be 36" So I would have to put something on top of any of the affordable options.  I actually like the idea of putting some kind of box that is open on the sides to act as a shelf for tape or whatever.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 05:44:26 PM »
What's the long-term life expectancy on the hydraulics of these pieces of fine machinery?

A floor jack used for oil changes and tire rotations five or ten times a year is way different than that same jack seeing daily duty in a working garage.
Aren't these similar?

Good point. HF definitely tends toward the casual rather than every day user.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 06:34:43 PM »

Don't get it!!

it's the junior model and only raises to mid thigh level
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 06:38:14 PM »
we have 8 of the harbor freight lift tables here and boy oh boy are they nice!!

they have big wheels  on em, carry over 1000lbs and when you have those large runs, we can stack all of the shirts on a single cart, then just pump the foot lever and it lifts up to keep the loading height at just the right level.

We use them behind the dryer to stack shirts on, stage the next job and just roll them around where needed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-69148.html

Aren't these similar?

There is a bleeding process and you need some jack oil. Once you bleed them, work good. If you don't, some of them will slowly lower on their own.

As for life.. it's HF so that could be 3 months or 30 years.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 06:41:07 PM »
I had 6 custom carts made 31"x24"x25" steel frame with top and base shelf they work great for me ,we regularly stack about 400-500tees on each cart and have a rubbermaid container under each one with rags or supplies in them. The scissor cart would work but I like keeping it simple. There small but mighty in the pic there are 300 gild an performance tees on it. had them painted my favourite colour:)

I've never liked those kind of tables or any set height loading table.

when the run starts you have to reach up high and those movements aren't good for you, then as the run progresses it gets easier to load and then when it's juuuuuuust right.. the run is done.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 07:04:59 PM »
Agreed on adjustable height. However, cost does come into play.  We built these for I think it was $15-20 per including design, materials and labor. It's just the large HF moving dolly at the base.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 07:31:06 PM »
...here's some pics of our tables loaded up for the day. The first table has two separate orders stacked on it, equalling about 350 (guess what month it is for bonus cool points  8)). The second two are for one job sharing the same back, but separated here into two different fronts. When the fronts are done, we will restack them all onto a single table.

...these are the less expensive tables $160 tables, the 500lb ones from HF. They work fine for what we are using them for. I built a frame around the top so I could make a larger surface with some MDF, the surface of the bare table on its own is too small for most adult sizes, and a bit too slick. Plus, I can just lift the added surface off if I need to use the table for anything else, I took two of them home once to jack up and repair a riding lawnmower.

...as for the durability question, one of these is 4-5 years old, the newest one is maybe 2. I did have to return one that leaked down, but they replaced it. Bleeding the lines, if needed, is fairly simple and the instructions are included. I will say that when you have these loaded down with 4-ft of stacked shirts, the steering and handling leave a bit to be desired, but that's to be expected. If you DO load down a table that high, move it slowly with the largest sizes at the bottom for stability.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline insane987

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 08:46:28 AM »
this is what we use in our shop works great, cheap, has shelves to hold supplies and clean up well max will hold 500 shirts

http://www.equippers.com/all-purpose-utility-or-bus-cart-18x24x34/wt34s.asp 

Offline Croft

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 11:09:20 AM »
...here's some pics of our tables loaded up for the day. The first table has two separate orders stacked on it, equalling about 350 (guess what month it is for bonus cool points  8)). The second two are for one job sharing the same back, but separated here into two different fronts. When the fronts are done, we will restack them all onto a single table.

...these are the less expensive tables $160 tables, the 500lb ones from HF. They work fine for what we are using them for. I built a frame around the top so I could make a larger surface with some MDF, the surface of the bare table on its own is too small for most adult sizes, and a bit too slick. Plus, I can just lift the added surface off if I need to use the table for anything else, I took two of them home once to jack up and repair a riding lawnmower.

...as for the durability question, one of these is 4-5 years old, the newest one is maybe 2. I did have to return one that leaked down, but they replaced it. Bleeding the lines, if needed, is fairly simple and the instructions are included. I will say that when you have these loaded down with 4-ft of stacked shirts, the steering and handling leave a bit to be desired, but that's to be expected. If you DO load down a table that high, move it slowly with the largest sizes at the bottom for stability.

why such a little box at the end of the dryer?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 02:09:19 PM »
We got three of these from Northern Tool. I was on there grabbing a couple maxline fittings and found 'em.  $219 a pop and you can get a $60  2yr replacement plan that includes shipping both ways, the rep was pretty smart about and suggested just buying on of the replacement plans and you can send any of the carts in your set that breakdown back.  I expect there to be a little premature failure at this price.  They come with a rubber slipmat on the table, looks like they'll be perfect for shirts.  Also handy for repairs and such too I imagine.  Great thread!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631990_200631990

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2018, 01:48:59 PM »
Are people still using these regularly? Thinking about buying a few as our production staff grows and height differences and run sizes are causing issues with stack heights. Seems like you would need to have the cart sideways for the loader to access the footpedal easily without stopping the press for too long, or am i over thinking it? Any have removable handles maybe? Just looking for more recent feedback on actual usage.