Author Topic: Was thinking CMYK + spot, now I'm thinking mostly spot + a little blending  (Read 4482 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Just need to bid on this for right now, but the only thing that really has any "process" to it, is the Yellow.

So I started adding up colors and it wasn't far off CMYK + Spot Red.  This is going on white shirts.

I have Black,  Golden Yellow, Red, Flesh (technically the Conch Shell isn't but I'm sure they would go for it, or I could halftone in some red), green and purple.

Halftoning Green for background and Purple for the "splash" area... probably need to blend golden yellow and red to get that texture in the text and belt.

Is that the better/easier way to approach this?  Just Spot Color vs full blown CMYK (which we've never done before) + the spot Red as that isn't gonna come from CMYK and the purple is a little muted as well.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
when it comes to stuff like this, I would rather do an 8 color sim-process job than a CMYK job.  I loathe CMYK.

you will come a lot closer with sim process or spot colors than CMYK, especially on your first go.

Offline ol man

when it comes to stuff like this, I would rather do an 8 color sim-process job than a CMYK job.  I loathe CMYK.

you will come a lot closer with sim process or spot colors than CMYK, especially on your first go.

Ditto

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
That's what I've always heard/read.  Which is part of why I started counting colors.

Online blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
add a white to the lighter green and purple so they look better on the shirt. very light halftones on white look like there is not enough ink deposited.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Looks like a nice spot job with some halftones of colors and like P said use a white base, sim would work nice too.

Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Pierre, you are saying throw down an underbase essentially?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Let's keep in mind, I have a 6 color press. ;)

Offline Parker 1

I would bid it at 6 colors:
-Red
-Yellow
-Green
-Purple
-Black
-HL White

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
I would bid it at 6 colors:
-Red
-Yellow
-Green
-Purple
-Black
-HL White

Chris, what would you do for the flesh color?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Was thinking CMYK + spot, now I'm thinking mostly spot + a little blending
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 12:06:51 PM »
You can make a pretty great flesh color with red yellow and white.  I've done it a bunch of times.

Online blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 12:44:44 PM »

highlight white, no ubase needed on white. Blending it in with the green will give you better coverage and make the print look less grainy and airy.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 12:52:23 PM »
I budgeted it for professional separations.

We probably could do it if it wasn't all these crazy tricks to make it look good... sheesh! ;)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 01:17:25 PM »
You should be able to sep this pretty simply in house.  For the flesh color it is basically a very low percentage of yellow and slightly more red and a whole lot of white.  I honestly don't remember the exact percentages, and they would depend on your inks and process as well.

For the light shades and the red and yellow blends, you just need a small percentage of top white and knock the red back just a bit to allow for gain over the yellow, or print the red first and overprint the yellow.  From looking at the art, I don't think you need to be too concerned with hitting absolutely exact shades...

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 01:27:41 PM »

highlight white, no ubase needed on white. Blending it in with the green will give you better coverage and make the print look less grainy and airy.

pierre

wet on wet would blend better, correct? What percentage white would you use to get those hues? White last? I have never tried this but seems pretty cool and I would definitely use it in the future on something. Thanks!