Author Topic: Was thinking CMYK + spot, now I'm thinking mostly spot + a little blending  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Was thinking CMYK + spot, now I'm thinking mostly spot + a little blending
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 01:29:10 PM »
I would bid it at 6 colors:
-Red
-Yellow
-Green
-Purple
-Black
-HL White

Chris, what would you do for the flesh color?

That's what I see too, and red, yellow and white for the flesh, just like the funnies...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 01:33:11 PM »
I would use a pretty small percentage of white, like 20-25%, and print it last.  A little goes a long way.  Wet on Wet vs flashing isn't something I could speak to as most of these kinds of jobs I am flashing everything due to being on a manual.  The times I am doing wet on wet really just depend on the print and project specs, and the alignment of the stars or whatever, more than a specific protocol for getting the best blend.

Funny you mention the funnies...The first job I printed a halftone flesh blend like that was ripped straight from a comic and I mimicked the effect :D

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 01:34:19 PM »
Pierre, you are saying throw down an underbase essentially?

highlight white, no ubase needed on white. Blending it in with the green will give you better coverage and make the print look less grainy and airy.

pierre

wet on wet would blend better, correct? What percentage white would you use to get those hues? White last? I have never tried this but seems pretty cool and I would definitely use it in the future on something. Thanks!

yes, WOW. blend will depend on the color you need. I would shoot for 100% coverage (or pretty close to it), so if it's 20% green fill the rest with white. Actually, I would probably print a little more green than it needs and still print the white as it should be.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 02:33:18 PM »
I think I get it. So print the green at around 25% fill, then white on top around 80%?

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 03:08:41 PM »
I would bid it at 6 colors:
-Red
-Yellow
-Green
-Purple
-Black
-HL White

For this I would have very little or no % red in the flesh tone, just yellow (PMS 123) and % white.  The pic below shows a comic flesh tone that I did this way over a DC Base, The pig has a different % yellow, red and white to give it a slightly different shade.  The second pic is of one with Red, Yellow and White.  I was working with really bad pic from Gimages.   
Chris, what would you do for the flesh color?

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 03:16:49 PM »
Here is another pic with a % Red (PMS185) and White to get a decent pink that I would do for the shell.  The picture of the motorcycle was printed with 7 colors on white shirts with a White HL last all WOW, just like what P said earlier. 

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 10:11:09 AM »
Yes, highlight white last, all WOW.

steve

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 10:25:52 AM »
Cool stuff guys... Learning everyday!

Now lets hope I get this bid, so we can see how this prints!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 03:57:46 PM »
When we ran Super Bowl shirts for the Pats first win, we had a large navy background with a gradation in it. OK, 3:30 am and the graduation disappears. Holy s__t, we need to make another screen! Not so fast, the highlight white screen had run dry; it was overprinting the navy. Pretty damn funny, laughing at ourselves for being such idiots. However, I've used it ever since when necessary.

Steve