Author Topic: Customer Supplied Art...or Some Such  (Read 1940 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Customer Supplied Art...or Some Such
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 10:38:51 AM »
I use to be blown away when people bring in stuff like that, but not anymore, what I'm blown away about now is they don't expect to paid very much to recreate the art, and if you ask can you get the original art file it's like talking a foreign langue. :o  I have come to the conclusion that some of our customers don't value our time at all, it comes for free since we are paying you so much for the shirt (No your paying for my time and work, I'm making maybe a 1.25 off the shirt if that much) is what I feel like telling them. Ok my little rant is over ::)

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 11:14:15 AM »
I use to be blown away when people bring in stuff like that, but not anymore, what I'm blown away about now is they don't expect to paid very much to recreate the art, and if you ask can you get the original art file it's like talking a foreign langue. :o  I have come to the conclusion that some of our customers don't value our time at all, it comes for free since we are paying you so much for the shirt (No your paying for my time and work, I'm making maybe a 1.25 off the shirt if that much) is what I feel like telling them. Ok my little rant is over ::)

darryl

"That's fine, we'll wait for you to provide the proper files then we'll book the job. Thank you very much and have a great day." (snort)

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 11:27:28 AM »

darryl

"That's fine, we'll wait for you to provide the proper files then we'll book the job. Thank you very much and have a great day." (snort)

Steve
Ha HA I think I've had a hand full of custy's that have brought in or emailed correct files, you and I know getting correct files from customers is just day dreaming LOL, but we can still wish can't we ;)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 11:56:24 AM »

Well, honestly, it's not the customer's job to know what camera ready art is. It's your job to make it work, whatever they bring you.

Just make sure you charge accordingly for the time that it takes and put it as a line item on the invoice, and if they argue, show them the process. A simple shop tour will educate in a few minutes how much goes in to putting art from a mulch bag onto shirts.

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 12:05:24 PM »

Well, honestly, it's not the customer's job to know what camera ready art is. It's your job to make it work, whatever they bring you.

Just make sure you charge accordingly for the time that it takes and put it as a line item on the invoice, and if they argue, show them the process. A simple shop tour will educate in a few minutes how much goes in to putting art from a mulch bag onto shirts.

I see that Scott, as long as we get paid for our skills; we just want them to know that we are professionals, and don't work for free. We educate our customers all the time, as charging for art is a constant battle as seen in this thread. Most are appreciative, in fact, that keeps them coming back. We can recreate anything they bring us, and if they'll pay fine. Just this morning I got 4 jpegs from a customer that usually knows better. I sent her a note asking for .ai or .eps (or .pdf) and she's checking. We usually have to pull a couple of teeth, but it gets done. My earlier comment was based on their not wanting to pay.

Steve

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 12:10:34 PM »

If they don't want to pay, they don't get it. Be happy to lose their business because your competitor who gets the job just got screwed.

This ain't Olive Garden. Art ain't breadsticks.

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 09:24:15 PM »
Nice analogy Scott....lol breadsticks.  Classic
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 09:29:09 PM »
My favorite ever was getting a file called: vecterlogo.jpg
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 11:26:58 AM »

If they don't want to pay, they don't get it. Be happy to lose their business because your competitor who gets the job just got screwed.

This ain't Olive Garden. Art ain't breadsticks.

LOL, but if lit properly, they could be art!

Steve