Author Topic: UPS hates me and the feeling is mutual  (Read 4792 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: UPS hates me and the feeling is mutual
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »
t
FYI on fedex.. in 2015 they are going to dimensional costing. Your rate is more dependent on the size of the box more than the weight, this is a direct reflection of how a shipping container is packed for optimum spacing vs weight of the entire container. A good example is their use of the triangle boxes, they stack to make a square in a container vs tube that have lost space between them.

presently, both UPS Ground and Fed Ex Ground jump to dimensional pricing when a package reaches a certain girth.

recently I was talking to a supplier in Atlanta about shipping some frames.
Got figures to New York and California, I believe UPS, but Fed Ex was similar. The difference between 12 in a box, or two boxes of 6 each is not small. Serious coin if the wrong choice is made.

Atlanta to New York
12 screens $22.61
6 screen $8.46 (

Atlanta to California
12 screens 38.23
6 screens 10.63

After the 1st of the year his will be "moot".....Both FedEx and UPS will be doing dimensional weight on all shipments...

Assuming the dimensional rates will all swing to the higher examples, this may make some think hard about certain purchases that require paid shipping (and of course, we know who really pays for "free" shipping)
May take a little shine off of the internet vs. local (for those lucky enough to have the choice.)

Out my way, Golden State and On Trac may see a boom in business with this trend from the "big two"

Another plus for roller frames though as the otherwise wasted space inside the frames can now be packed with heavy inks and emulsion!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 05:46:10 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 06:11:17 PM »
Out my way, Golden State and On Trac may see a boom in business with this trend from the "big two"

Small regional couriers have boomed over the past decade as UPS and FedEx rates have increased....Once of my large suppliers has moved a bunch of business to www.speedydelivery.com  Wish they came all the way to WA (where I get my US shipments)....

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 07:27:25 PM »
we ship everything via fedex, unless a client wants us to ship on their UPS account.

Both companies are awful, and screw up left and right. But what other option do you have.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 07:28:57 PM »
Pretty sure the reason FedEx ground and priority have to split pick ups is because FedEx ground drivers/routes are owned by franchisees and not actually FedEx.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 01:36:33 AM »
Pretty sure the reason FedEx ground and priority have to split pick ups is because FedEx ground drivers/routes are owned by franchisees and not actually FedEx.

Yes.....Where I get my US FedEx packages shipped to, they get up to 4 different FedEx trucks a day.....Ground, Home, Express and/or Freight....

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 02:28:47 PM »
UPS is a huge heartless monster. They flat out don't care about you and your package. I've been lied to, deceived, misled and given the run-around well beyond all the other couriers put together.

I've seen tracking show the item still at it's origin in the US, only to show up at my door in Canada later that day.

I've been unceremoniously raped with brokerage charges that usually run 1/2 the declared value of the product for no discernible reason other than they can.

I've been told the item is on the truck for delivery 4 days in a row.

I've been told they have no way to contact their drivers.

I've been given the endless run-around on the phone, transferred to operator after operator until close to an hour later I was back with the one I started with who still couldn't help me.

It's too bad suppliers often use UPS as their default shipper, I do everything I can to avoid them, including buying from different suppliers who will use Purolator even if the product costs a little more.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline SteveS

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 10:03:38 PM »
It's only going to get worse leading up to the holidays. They're already adjusting routes and our deliveries are getting later in the day. For outbound, we changed to FedEx and are pretty happy with them. For now....

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 10:13:10 PM »
just got the notice today.. UPS upping rates 4.9% across the board
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 10:27:06 PM »
That's it, I am opening a FedEx account. And I am down the street from their main New Orleans hub. Case closed

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2014, 10:30:38 PM »
Funny, I was just there this morning at 6am only to find they don't open till 8am. At the end of James Dr. you go :-).

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2014, 10:33:57 PM »
Hey Stranger! But they are open till 9 pm though

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 12:40:54 AM »
Fedex rates will also go up in the New Year......

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 12:58:10 AM »
I think everything is going to go up every year. It is like Death and Taxes. You can count on it  ;)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 07:51:10 AM »
No problems here drop off each day @9:00 pick up @ 5:00

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 11:40:01 AM »
With the right driver, UPS isn't bad. Our current driver is awesome, but sometimes the subs can be a little difficult. FedEx doesn't have as good of service around here as we'd like (rural area) so I just have to bank that UPS won't switch our driver on us (which they're known for doing frequently).