Author Topic: Auto press set up/install questions  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Auto press set up/install questions
« on: October 19, 2014, 02:33:38 PM »
I finally have my electrical all set for my auto. Press is assembled and I'm going to work on the initial set up/install and see how far I can get.

In case it makes a difference Progressive Rhino 8/10 AC with Atlas Copco LS5 80 gal (5hp 17 cfm) piston compressor, Deltech HTD20 dryer (20scfm).

A couple of questions for the air, as that is what I need to do now.

Should I bolt the compressor to the (wooden) floor with rubber in between? Or just sit it on top of anti-vibration pads?

From the compressor tank it is 3/4 out. The chiller/dryer is 1/2" in, 1/2" out. I have a 3/4" hose going to the press.

Is the 1/2" inlet/outlet on the chiller going to bottleneck my air supply? It seems almost pointless to run 3/4" hose after it gets reduced to 1/2".

If I remember right, I should be using actual piping to go from the compressor tank to the chiller as opposed to hose? What type of piping is best to use, and I think there was also a type I should be avoiding? Also, what material is recommended for fittings?

Should I run the airline up the center of the press to the ceiling and over to the wall and down to the compressor? Or should I just run the hose across the floor? It's not very far away from each other.

And what about these: http://www.compressorworld.com/35-cfm-coalescing-filter-with-float-drain.html#.VEP_-BaRLyM I have 2. Should I put one before and after the chiller/dryer? Should I be even using these? I didn't have these in my last set up, but these were included in the set up that I bought.

What is minimum recommended space to leave around the press before walls, etc to easily get screens in and out?

That is all for now. Once the air is set I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks!

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Auto press set up/install questions
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 09:04:43 PM »
The compressor feet are most likely stamped, actually 3/16" plate edge is actually resting on the floor. I would get some 4"x4"x1/2" machinery felt, glue 1/4" steel plate to the felt and mount the compressor on those. I will dampen vibration, noise and stop the feet from cutting into the floor.

Run 1/2" from the chiller/dryer to the press, its good for 18cfm @ 75', each fitting is equal to five feet of run. Make the run from the compressor to the dryer 3/4".

I like black pipe, its fine for running air lines. Other options are copper (sweet or compression), nylon tubing, rubber hose and systems like rapid air. Do not use galvanized pipe or fittings and avoid PVC.

I always put a flexible line coming out of the compressor then rigid pipe. Product of choice is a metal flexible hose, you can use a short rubber hose also. I use a general purpose filter with a cleanable or replaceable filter before the dryer. A condensate drop before the filter with a drain to catch some or the water before reaching the filter and dryer.

Go to the center of the machine so your not tripping over the hose.

That press has side clamps so enough room to slide the screens and flash in and out.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 12:12:37 PM »
Thanks Brian!

If I go with the 1/2" rapid air, the 1/2" is the od and 3/8" is the id. I'm assuming I want to make sure the id is 1/2"?

Also, should I bolt the press to the floor (you remember my old wooden floors)?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 02:48:43 PM »
I think Rapid Air is ID.

If you go 1/2" route let me know, I have a fitting I ordered on accident that I'll give to you.  $6 and it's $3 to return... pfft!

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 06:09:22 PM »
1/2" id

Bolt it to the floor and try to position it over some floor joist.